Author Topic: Confused about activity times and 4 hour easy  (Read 1965 times)

Offline fim105

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Confused about activity times and 4 hour easy
« on: April 09, 2017, 17:09:05 pm »
Hi all

My first time posting so here it goes!!ive been trying to implement EASY with my now 6 month old sine he was 2 months old. 
We have only just transitioned to a four hour easy as we had some feeding difficulties and he has only just gotten back in a heathy percentile, also he has reflux and regurgitation so often throws half his feeds back up.
Anyways I digress he is now managing to stay awake for 2.5-3 hours but we are having a problem with short naps also if he is awake that long hiw does  this fit in with a four hour easy and a 1.5-2 hour nap as this would mean a 5 hour EASY surely as I take A time from the moment he is awake.

Another question I have is he still wakes for a feed at 4 and wakes at 7 should I start feeding at 7 or wait til it's been four hours since his last feed so 8?? We do not dream feed as we have to keep him up 20 mins after feeds due to his reflux?

Any help would be so gratefully received.

Offline raaan85

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Confused about activity times and 4 hour easy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 12:02:24 pm »
Hi! I'm not an expert at all but didn't want to 'read & run'.
My lo has been on 4hr EASY for a couple of weeks - we do 2hrs E&A + 2hrs S. I guess you could do 2.5hrs E&A + 1.5hrs S? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to have a look at your routine & more of a chat though!
DS is also a reflux baby & held upright for 20m after feeds. We actually do a df at 10.45pm and he goes through until approx 4am. We ALWAYS wake him to feed at 7.30am - as far as I'm aware the morning feed / time you start the day is crucial to the routine (although as stated, I'm not an expert). Yesterday he woke at 4.45am so it was about 5.20 by the time I got back in bed 💤💤. I think I read once the routine is established you can vary the time occasionally by about half an hour, but should try & be pretty strict, especially with the first one of the day.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 15:32:19 pm »
Hi and welcome to the boards.

As pp states a 4hr easy is usually 2hrs awake time and 2hrs sleep but that would be for a younger baby around 4-5mo, not a 6mo. 

Usually by the time LO moves to a 3hr A time they would be taking a solids meal at some point which Tracy recommended finishing off with a milk top up.  Are you breast or formula feeding? Once A times reach this length of time most breastfed babies will need an extra feed in the A time if they aren't having any significant amount of solid foods and water. 6mo is around the time solids are usually introduced though so I'm guessing your LO isn't having much solid food just yet and you're just starting off?

Do you think the 2.5-3hr A time is right? The upper end is quite long for a 6mo but some babies do need longer than average A times so it's possible your LO is one of them of course. As you say though that would make for too long between milk feeds so you'd need to offer again at some point before sleep most probably.

As for the morning feed, I'd offer on wake up regardless of if it's been 3 or 4hrs since the night feed assuming he is happy to feed again then. If the 4am feed is his only one then he's doing great 😀
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline fim105

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 16:00:40 pm »
Hi both
Thank you so much for replying. I am formula feeding him he currently has four 8oz bottles during the day and a 7 oz bottle at 4am. We have e just started introducing solids so he is only having small amount of veg once a day in between feeds.

Raan85 do you find he is sick at all after your dream feed?at times my LO is often sick after the 20 minute put down. Maybe that's where I am going wrong not starting the feed at 7 as it does  shift the whole day. The A time maybe too long Ali as I can only get 40 mins normally and have to ssh/pat him to try and prolong which is not always successful. If he falls asleep in the pram (which is rare) it is normally 2.5 approx after food.

I have also posted about ssh/pat becoming a prop as I've been doing it for four months and he still seems to need it  :-\ or do you think it's because I'm missing the sleep window.  Thanks so much again for replying

Offline fim105

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 18:28:50 pm »
Something has happened to my thread, it's missing replies!
I hope you got my reply Bec

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 19:33:12 pm »
We moved the forum to a new server and some replies might disappear. Sorry for the inconvenience.
~Marta

Offline fim105

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 07:32:46 am »
Hi just to update the dr has started us on ranitidine so hopefully will start to see a difference although at the moment it's making him be sick more??has anyone else had the same when introducing ranitidine?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:36:22 am »
I am not an expert but I heard it's possible with some reflux meds. Can you please start another post on reflux board with your specific question? It will be easier to find some support if you start a bed thread
~Marta

Offline fim105

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 09:12:05 am »
Will do thank you

Offline fim105

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 08:39:01 am »
Hi everyone
I need help, I've totally lost the EASY plot. He is now only napping for three 30 min cat naps I've been trying to look for signs when he is sleepy but he tends to go fromhspoy to grizzly within an instant then it's a battle to get him to go to sleep. He has now started stirring during the night and after his 4 am feed is staying awake. I need help to get back in track but not sure how to start. He is now six months and is on ranitidine and goats milk formula to help with GERD. Wasn't sure where to post this as my troubles cross all areas  ???

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 07:53:32 am »
Hi there
I see you didn't get a reply here.
If you still need support please feel free to start a new thread detailing your current EASY and issue - go onto the EASY board if you like I'll see it there.
x

Offline fim105

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 17:27:05 pm »
Thank you I will post on easy section