Author Topic: 6.5m and still can't settle into a nap without me.  (Read 1138 times)

Offline OtterSong

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6.5m and still can't settle into a nap without me.
« on: April 23, 2017, 16:38:53 pm »
I'm fully at my wits end. I have a spirited baby, and he's always been resistant to daytime naps. At 1 month old, he'd fight sleep for hours during the day if you let him, no matter how early or late you tried to put him down. He's been at daycare since 2 months, and sometimes he only gets one 45 minute nap while he's there.

At nighttime, he generally goes down relatively easily (from awake), as long as he's been awake for about 2.5 hours and is tanked up on milk. Otherwise we have the same exact fight as at nap times, which is crying which escalates out of control (and has no end) unless you pick him up.

Oh but those nap times. He cries as soon as he realizes he's been left to nap, no matter what wind down you use. And he cries when you hold him. And he cries when you shh-pat. And cries worse when you leave the room. The only (and I mean is only) things that work are a) bouncing up and down rather forcefully b) riding in the car or c) nursing to sleep. We're at 20 lbs and I've been trying to lay him down "awake but drowsy" since he was born. Unfortunately, there is no such thing with this baby and my back is starting to give out.

He's either awake or asleep, no transition period at all. He's either happily awake and alert,  crying,  or passed out. We've got a room blackening shade on his window which does a pretty good job.

The worst? He's an otherwise super-happy, ridiculously easy baby. He could go all day without a nap and not fuss too much. He would (and has) simply passed out in the car seat around 5:30pm and sleeps till morning with a feed in there around 9.

I know he needs sleep.  I can tell when he's tired. But he absolutely fights sleep during the day like he'll never see you again if he closes his eyes. .

What in the world can I do, especially since his nap environment at daycare is bright, loud, and unpredictable?

Offline fim105

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 6.5m and still can't settle into a nap without me.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 18:20:34 pm »
Hi ottersong
No way am I an expert on BW but thought I reply as I'm in the same boat as you.  I've been trying for months to get my LO to nap in the day and we have been using ssh/pat but he still resists.  My LO becomes very frustrated and grumpy as he's tired but will only nap for 30 mins max. He does have reflux though which doesn't help. I just wondered if you had ruled that out as silent reflux can affect baby sleeping position?
Also if he's sleeping through the night maybe it's his bioclock that he doesn't need to sleep much??my HV said to me sometimes baby's don't sleep in the day they are just too alert and not to make naps the main aim of your day? And that when they start moving they tend to need a nap. As long as nights are okay naps arnt the be all and end all!?frustrating I know when you then can't get anything done but if your babe is happy in the day (or did I read this wrong) then maybe short naps are just his thing??

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 6.5m and still can't settle into a nap without me.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:05:47 am »
Hi both, and thank you for offering some support fim105 :D

OtterSong could you please post a typical routine/day for us, especially how long he is awake before you try for naps?  Some of the behaviour you are seeing could be due to over tiredness (trying too late for naps), but can also be due to under tiredness - as in trying too early.  In my experience some babies, especially spirited ones, can fight horribly if you do this and keeping them up a bit longer can make it far easier to settle them.

If we can see a normal day for you first then we can take it from there :)