Author Topic: 2 yr old back to not falling asleep on own, wiwo not working  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2 yr old back to not falling asleep on own, wiwo not working
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 12:46:19 pm »
It often gets worse before it's get better and the older they are the harder it is. I'd try maybe sitting out of her direct site, start with night night time to sleep and then maybe only say shush now night times go to sleep mummy's here periodically.
My first would lay down providing I was there but number 2 wants me out the way.x
Zoe

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 13:07:52 pm »
Unfortunately there is nowhere in her room that I could stay and her not be able to see me, unless I sit in the bathroom that is attached to her room, which is what I did when I was doing wiwo. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 18:45:14 pm »
I know it's really tempting to let her sleep longer for her nap after a rough night but it can have the opposite effect to what you want/need.  She's already having quite a long nap.
Did you move BT later?

hugs. It's very tiring.

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 19:37:08 pm »
I did not let her sleep longer than normal for nap; she fell asleep at 1:10 and was up at 3, which is when I was going to wake her if she wasn't up.  I didn't move her BT later because I knew she would get OT then as she was already rubbing her eyes and getting silly before we read stories.  It was just after 7:30 when I took her to her room, so she screamed from around 7:30-10.  How long should I be letting her scream like that while I sit in there?  It could've easily taken her til midnight to fall asleep last night at the rate she was going.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 19:59:09 pm »
While I totally understand that she is really tired. The BT refusal can be because BT is still too early for her.  Often LOs who are UT for BT kick up a fuss, call backs, shouting, crying, anger and they can continue for so long that they take themselves past the time they would have fallen to sleep, way beyond.
I would move BT significantly later rather than still doing it at the same time you were when you first posted.  During phases of long call backs, SA and temper or shouting I moved my DS's BT by 30 min then another 30 min the next night. It cut out a lot of the call backs.  Once teh phase was over and sleep was coming more easily again I brought BT back to when he needed it.

she screamed from around 7:30-10.  How long should I be letting her scream like that while I sit in there?
Well, it is a long time. I wouldn't have spent that long with mine unless he was having periods of starting to get drowsy and calm down a bit, either that or the happy messing around stuff when I'd generally 'tell him off' because his cot was on blocks and running downhill was asking for a huge bump to his head.  If mine had screamed long like that I would have taken him out of the room and gone for another hours A time. Although there are *very few* times I have brought my DS back downstairs after BT.

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 01:10:39 am »
Only an hour of screaming tonight!  If I wouldn't have had to be there, she would've fallen asleep by 7:45 on a night like this after only 7 hours of sleep last night.  She was so clingy and tired all day today and was already rubbing her eyes at dinner.  Her cries started out fairly weak because she was beyond exhausted, so I thought maybe she'd fall asleep quick, but they escalated quickly.  She didn't give up on standing until the very end when she finally laid down and stopped crying at 8:45.  Now here's hoping that she is able to sleep all night to make up for last night.  I'm going to guess that if she sleeps longer tonight, she is not going to go down this quick tomorrow night because she won't be as sleep deprived.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 05:22:43 am »
Well, at least she went down quicker.
LOs really do have tremendous stamina don't they!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 05:47:36 am »
They can hold out for a long time, well done for keeping going x
Zoe

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 11:46:41 am »
Semi-success!  She didn't wake up until 5:30 this morning, at which point I went in and tried to lay her back down after holding her for a few minutes but ended up laying on the floor in her room with her and she went back to sleep til 6:45.  Hoping tonight is better too.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 12:46:50 pm »
I'd say that's a big success Hun, just keep strong she will get it x
Zoe

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 16:38:25 pm »
She fell asleep a lot earlier last night...put her down around 7:35 and she was laying down by 8:05 and asleep by 8:20.  I'm attributing it to the fact that she only took a 1 hour nap from 1:10-2:10 since we had company over and I think she didn't want to miss anything.  She did wake up once during the night at 1:30 and fell right back to sleep after a quick hug, but then was up at 6:00 this morning. 

At what point should I start with the wi/wo again?  Last night she was sort of just whining when I put her in her crib at first, so I walked out for a minute to see if she would settle, but she was calling for me then so I went back in and just sat down against the wall and that's when she started crying for me to hold her and getting louder.  She did have more intervals of quiet for a few seconds before screaming again before she finally settled and laid down since she was so tired.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 18:50:16 pm »
I'd give it a couple of days where she settles pretty easily then maybe move to sitting outside her door just using your voice x
Zoe

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 11:59:27 am »
Another short nap yesterday, which made for a cranky afternoon, but I was actually able to leave the room last night.  I put her down at 7:35 and sat down on the floor against the wall.  She laid down pretty quickly and I thought she was going to fall asleep right away, but she ended up singing to herself and her dolls and then saying "hi mommy" and being an entertainer.  Eventually I was so uncomfortable that I had to get up, so I just whispered to her and stood outside her door in the bathroom.  She fell asleep on her own at 8:30 and slept all night until 5:30 this morning.  At that point I went in and held her for a bit then laid her on the floor with me and she fell back to sleep for a little while.  Hoping that tonight I can just leave the room sooner and that maybe will help with the EW? 

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 15:26:42 pm »
The EW is prob just a bit of built up OT hopefully when she's falling to sleep quicker it will resolve a bit x
Zoe

Offline mommykay410

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 00:29:12 am »
So the leaving the room only worked for one night because last night while she was singing to herself I tried again and she wasn't having it.  She was then up at 12:30 (thought she was asleep good but then up again at 1:00), 4:30, 5:30 at which point I laid her on the floor with me and she fell back asleep til 6:40.  And her nap again was 1 hr 10 mins on the dot, waking up crying for me.  I don't know how she is still functioning with as much energy as she has because she has been running around all day outside the past 2 days, and it was super hot out today so you'd think she'd be exhausted.  I tried to leave again tonight after she was playing around for a while but she then insisted on "Mommy sitting" and would pop her head up every once in a while to make sure I still was.  She fell asleep at 8:10, but I expect her to wake up again tonight since I was still in there when she fell asleep.  I probably shouldn't have, but I put her big giraffe in the position where I was sitting in hopes that if she wakes up she will think I'm still there.  Hoping she (and I) get a full night sleep soon, preferably before this baby gets here since he is already 4 days late.