Author Topic: Gas and gastro upset  (Read 3001 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Gas and gastro upset
« on: April 29, 2017, 20:32:13 pm »
This started in the general sleep board when I started noticing some issues with my LO's nap.

My LO is struggling to settle for her PM nap. Sometimes she does not settle at all. Along with her mantra cry it sounds like she is grunting or is uncomfortable.

She has been eating solids for ~ a month. She had a dip in interest for a while but is back eating again.

She has had increased flatulence since starting solids and I have made notes on my food journal. She also had a stretch of 3 days without a poop (otherwise daily poop). Only recently does it seem as though the flatulence is bothering her.

I am tempted to stop solids entirely for a week to see how she feels. Then reintroduce.

What do you think?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Gas and gastro upset
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 21:26:55 pm »
What solids have you been giving? Might be a food intolerance.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 21:31:27 pm »
There are some food that can cause gas and bung LOs up. We had to stop bananas and sweet potato from memory. A food diary is key really. Have you noticed any patterns?

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 21:42:46 pm »
Everything except the cereal seems to cause gas.
The pooping strike was end of sweet potato and beginning of egg (which I know to be a highly allergenic food).

She pooped twice today... But seems to be uncomfortable, we are on day 3 of peas.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 08:02:04 am »
There's a list of laxative and constipating foods here if this helps :
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=249922.0
it helped me when I started my LO on solids.

One thing I will say though - if you are giving individual foods for a number of days (from what you said it sounds like a number of days with one food before trialling the next) this in itself can cause problems with gas and poo.  For example I discovered with my LO that carrots made his poo firmer and if I had given him carrots for 3 days without other foods to balance that out he would have been badly constipated.  I did not do 3 day trials on each food because we followed BLW and offered a range of foods from the get-go but I did learn from keeping a record (and reading that thread above) that if I gave him carrots I needed to also give him prunes.  With those two foods I could balance out his poo so that if I saw it getting a bit too soft I would steam some carrots for his next meal (or make a stew with carrots in) and if it was too firm I'd give him a soft prune or two along with whatever meal he was having.  It was a very natural way to keep his bowels in good shape.  Now that he is older, and from my own eating habits I know there are certain foods we can only eat once per week or so otherwise we'd both get diarrhoea - a 3 day trial on such foods would have been disastrous but those same foods along with other foods is fine.

Not sure how old your LO is or if there is a high risk of allergies in your family which has led you to wanting to trial each food individually but usually these days people do not tend to do these 3 or 4 day trials any more (instead just totally avoid the foods unsuitable for babies such as honey etc).  Something to think about.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:15:48 am »
Everything except the cereal seems to cause gas.
The pooping strike was end of sweet potato and beginning of egg (which I know to be a highly allergenic food).

She pooped twice today... But seems to be uncomfortable, we are on day 3 of peas.

Has she shown any other symptoms? Olly was allergic to egg but this showed itself as hives and vomiting after he ate it for the first time.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 11:24:43 am »
Has she shown any other symptoms? Olly was allergic to egg but this showed itself as hives and vomiting after he ate it for the first time.

No other symptoms noticed

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 11:33:16 am »
Not sure how old your LO is or if there is a high risk of allergies in your family which has led you to wanting to trial each food individually but usually these days people do not tend to do these 3 or 4 day trials any more (instead just totally avoid the foods unsuitable for babies such as honey etc).  Something to think about.

Thanks for the response!
My LO will be 7 months old next week.

I think the UK is far more progressive with regards to feeding babies compared to Canada. BLW is only just picking up steam here. The general recommendation is to start new foods for a few days.

That being said, I agree with you. My LO has had no other reactions to food and a diet w/o variety would cause issues for anybody.

I will take a look at that link and maybe read more about BLW.