Author Topic: Out the cot too young?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Out the cot too young?
« on: May 01, 2017, 19:50:52 pm »
We recently took DS2 out the cot and moved him into a toddler bed. Nightmare. He was wandering at night, so we gated his bedroom door, but he is still getting out and just sitting quietly by the gate. DS1 says he was there at 4.30am this morning, and we have found him asleep there when we have gone to bed  :(. He has NEVER EW'd but that is all we have had lately.

Reason we did it was so my sister (38.5 weeks pg) could have the cot. She doesn't need it immediately, but will within the next few months.

What should we do? Put him back in the cot and see if it is a miracle cure?? Do you think it will be and he is just too immature for this?

I would rather buy my sister a new cot than deal with this nightmare!!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Out the cot too young?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 21:05:34 pm »
I would put him back in the cot, myself. It worked for us with DS when we did the big kid bed too early he just needed that smaller space to feel secure and sleep well. When we did get him a big bed again, we had a side on it so he still had something to 'run into' when he moved around in his sleep, he's always been a wriggly sleeper but could somehow get out of bed safely whilst asleep ::) 

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:46:57 am »
We moved DS2 out of the cot at 19months (long story) we had a while where he slept on the floor rather than the mattress (he was on a mattress on the floor for a few months) & then he just got used to it & stayed in bed... I don't think it was more than a few weeks we had the problem & then he stayed in bed - unless he called us. The thing was at the same time a friend of mine who'd just moved their 3yo out of a cot was having the same issue (which she hadn't with her eldest & didn't with your youngest) & it also went away with time, I think it's more temperament than age TBH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:55:22 am »
I'd would put him back and see how he deals with it TBH. Can't hurt can it!

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:10 pm »
If you think he'd go back in the cot now I'd do it too.  Annabel is the same age and she's been in a bed since Christmas, and it was too early. The only reason we switched to a bed was because we were staying with my in laws for nearly 3 weeks, they don't have a cot and she was getting too big to comfortably sleep in a travel cot for more than a couple of nights. She did great in it at first, but then it went a bit downhill. When she was in a cot she would stay in there and talk/play/sing to herself for a while after she woke up, now the second her eyes open she's out of bed no matter what time it is. This includes NWs! Most of the time we just put her back in bed and she goes back to sleep so it's not too bad, but it's disturbances that we didn't use to have. And sometimes we've had to do multiple trips back to bed. I would put her back in a cot if we could, but at this point I know she can and would climb out. Not sure if it's temperament or age... DD1 was nearly 3 when we switched her to a bed and we had no problems. So she was older, but has always been a better sleeper and a bit more mellow than DD2.
Emma