Author Topic: Trouble sleeping almost 4 year old  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:53:02 am »
My almost 4 year old is struggling with sleep lately. He's always had a bedtime routine and fell asleep quickly without any problems. But lately he's not falling sleep coming downstairs getting out of bed calling for us. His bedtime is getting later causing him to sleep later in the morning where I have to wake him for school. He's also waking at night which is what's concerning me. He'll wake crying during the night some nights a few times. This is a kid who sleeps soundly normally for 11-12 hours. We first thought he was afraid of the dark so we leave a light on but now we are having to sit with him until he falls asleep sone nights. I've tried asking him what's going on if he's scared or had a bad dream but he doesn't say. Any tips?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Trouble sleeping almost 4 year old
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:13:08 am »
I've tried asking him what's going on if he's scared or had a bad dream but he doesn't say. Any tips?

He's a bit to young to be able to explain why.

I found that as my children got older they needed to unwind more/differently. They needed some active time (rough housing with Dad kind of stuff) to get rid of the last energy & get rid of stress in their bodies. Then it would be a small snack & time spent cuddling & reading stories & sometimes the stories were longer because I could feel they weren't quite ready to settle down... I kind of saw it like sometimes I need to read for 10mins before I can settle, sometimes I don't even read KWIM
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:33:59 am »
Yes I agree.  Could it be he also needs a later bedtime? I've tried it but it just makes bedtime even later yk. He does play with dad before bed. But lately even with reading he's all wound up chatting and babbling that he can't sit and listen to a story. Sometimes he falls right asleep after that behavior though so it's hard to tell. Yesterday was a busy day school trip to grandmas house lots of play and activity so I don't think he's not tired enough. And the night wakings I can't figure out. This morning I'll probably have to wake him again being that his sleep was disrupted through the night and he's tired.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:14 pm »
Yesterday was a busy day school trip to grandmas house lots of play and activity so I don't think he's not tired enough.

There is a difference between not being tired enough & not having released enough energy... my almost 12yo has spent the last 2 days doing Gala day carnivals (30mins on field  30mins off for 4hours) representing our district & then tonight did 2 x 1hour training sessions for 2 teams he is in (with 45mins travel in between) & in the car between training he was obviously tired, but he got home & then sat down talking to DH & saying he was tired but he needed to unwind before bed. It's kind of a case of the more active the brain gets the more time that is needed to process & unwind from the day, so a busy day makes them physically tired, but it also means the brain has had lots of stimulation so it needs chat & talk about it too.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 14:18:50 pm »
That's so true!! But he's very wild and silly and can't sit still or pay attention to reading or even just chatting about our day. Maybe it's time for a little tweak in our pre bed and bedtime routine? Any other suggestions ?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:05:19 am »
Already had two wakings he was standing in his door talking about how he was going to get his bubbles the other time he sat up crying. I'm not sure how to help him or what's going on.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:30:27 am »
I'd say there is a mental developmental leap going on & its a "blip" that will quite possibly settle down. Over the years my boys have both had weird phases of sleep from night terrors to sleep walking & normally it kind of just happens here & there for a few days or a month or more & then settles back down.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 08:39:18 am »
We used to o god get those sort of wakings at that age when my DD2 was OT and over stimulated. A couple of long wind downs and early bedtimes settled things right down. Even now a total 6.5 she'll wake at night if she's too much going on and an early bedtime still sorts her out. It's like accumulated OT and she appears to be coping until she's not.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 10:33:39 am »
Thank you! And I've been bringing him up for bed later thinking maybe he's not tired enough at bedtime. Going to try an earlier time tonight just to see.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 13:34:23 pm »
It's a fine balance isn't it? On the nights we do early to bed we do a nice bath and books and I just lie and snuggle her to relax her.   

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:02:44 am »
So tonight we tried bringing him up a bit earlier having a little longer of a bath then pjs dad and I hang out in his room cuddling and reading books singing etc. same routine every night. It's now been 2 hours since we took him up for bath and he's still up. My husband stayed in his room for about 30 mins usually this helps if he's having trouble falling asleep but it didn't help. He continued to talk and sing which is fine but then he kept coming out of his room to the stairs etc. this went on for 2 hours! I'm at my wits end! And then the past few nights he's also waking during the night.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 01:31:31 am »
Just wanting to suggest this might be his way of getting some special time with you - you've a thread elsewhere about him being rough with the (relatively) new baby. I'm not sure what to suggest to help but the 4yo leap was rough for us sleep and behaviour wise even without a baby around. It might be a case of meeting him where he is, with lots of love and hugs and affirmation and knowing that this too shall pass.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 02:36:42 am »
Thank you you are right and I've been doing that. Just rough trying to remain calm and loving after 2 hours! Lol :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 00:16:13 am »
I don't know how much more I can take of this. He's so wired every night babbling and singing and kicking the bed and Getting out a thousand times!!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 01:00:39 am »
Another night he's still awake at 9 pm!! Why can't he fall asleep ?

Offline becj86

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 03:50:58 am »
Hugs xx it is very frustrating when they don't sleep!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 23:57:26 pm »
Last night he didn't fall asleep until 930 and was up at 630 this morning! He hadn't been up that early since he's a baby! I think it's becoming a habit now of getting out Of bed and he's so wound up every night like crazy I can't get him calm to sleep. He's obviously ot and I can't get a handle on it. Maybe he's also scared of something but I've tried everything. Night lights doors open etc.

Offline becj86

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 00:52:13 am »
That does sound like OT :( have you tried an earlier BT? Lots of physical play during the day may help too.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 02:38:34 am »
Yes he's getting a ton of physical play but he can't seem to wind down. We did try an earlier bedtime but he's still taking forever to fall asleep.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:55 am »
It's hard when they go through a stage of such mental alertness that they can't switch off. It might be worth seeing if a re-arrangement of the bedtime routine helps. not sure the order you do things, but we found that dinner, family time, bath or shower & then stories & bed worked best for my 2 boys. Basically the evening meal signified things were slowing down. They didn't have heaps of time between dinner & bed as we have always eaten as a family & that meant waiting for DH (or me) to get home & so for most of their lives Dinner was 6.30pm when they were little & closer to 7pm from about age 6.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline greenlady

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 11:36:53 am »
Hi - just some sympathy as my 5 year old is a hyper at night too.  We thought he wasn't tired as he shows no signs, no yawning, no getting cranky, still full on, but he was harder to wake up in the morning, wants to get into our bed at night and grumpier during the day.  Also, he wet the bed once or twice which is a sign from him that he is in a very deep sleep - so OT.  But, can't get him to sleep earlier - so what to do?
We worked out it was partly lighter evenings, partly a hangover from later nights during the holidays, partly jealousy of his older sister who stays up later, and just not needing so much sleep as when he was younger.   We "fixed" it by getting him really tired one weekend, so he went straight to sleep.  The next day - same thing, so the routine was restored.  Also, moved bedtime back by an hour. (8pm).  He doesn't sleep straight away when we leave the room, but he is quiet and doesn't get up.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 18:13:46 pm »
His routine is always the same after dinner dad is home so they might go out to the garden or to play outside weather permitting or just play with dad and little brother in the house. Then a calm show lights low and Then up for bath (used to be 645 then 7 then 715) getting later as he gets older. But he never gives us a hard time about going up.  And after bath into his room with both of us for pjs books songs and to bed. Lately no matter what time it is or how tired or how active of a day he just can't unwind and can't listen to books just talks and jibbers and gets up a thousand times. I thought at first he washt tired enough but then I had to keep waking him in morning for school and the bedtime keeps getting later like a viscous cycle. Now it's getting to the point of ot where he's waking earlier and earlier and falling asleep later and later so I know it's not that he's not tired enough. It's just a bad habit now. Whether it's developnental or fear of the dark etc. but I wish I could nip it. It's affecting school his behavior etc.

Offline becj86

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 21:27:23 pm »
Maybe try pulling BT significantly earlier for a day and see if he tacks? It works for DS which is why I suggest it but some people are then up with the larks at 4am so it can have its drawbacks. I find I put more into resettling if its 4am than 5:30/6.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 22:32:30 pm »
Then a calm show lights low

I assume you are talking about TV... screen time ( blue light) close to bedtime has differing effect on people, but it is a BIG reason for children not being able to settle down & honestly you are better if you have the lights bright rather than dim if you do watch at night as people who fall asleep with TV on in dim lights don't have as restful sleep... even if they say they sleep better.
If he's really struggling, I'd cut out the TV & have some "talking time" or a board game & a few more books in his room.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 00:51:00 am »
The tv show is really just about sitting still on the sofa with us and he calms down. It's only like a 15 min show and it's really just part of the "routine". Tonight we went up at 720 after a day out in the woods fishing and had bath pjs I tried to read a book but he likes to pretend to read his own book and just talks over me so I end up not being able to read lol. Then we sang and he actually laid pretty still. I then told him I would be back to check on him in 2 mins he said ok then got up and to the stairs I quickly took him back to his bed and told hmm I'd be back to check on him but he had to stay in bed which he did. I came back and told him nice job for staying in bed and did he want me to come back to check on him again he said yes so I did and then I told him I'd come back again a little later after I washed the dishes and then he fell asleep. It's not until 830 that he's falling asleep though which is late for him but at least it wasn't a struggle and he wasn't crying coming out of the room a million times for an hour. I'll see how late he sleeps tomorrow but he has school so I'll need to wake him. Maybe my new tactic of checking on him is working! Fingers crossed.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 05:30:51 am »
My DD was like this, and even at almost 7 it can take her ages to fall asleep. We just taught her to stay in bed and chatter to her toys, but she will call from time to time.

I think it's just processing the day, and really its normal. Just a different personality type. We had tons of issues with OT and night terrors and that lasted until she was 5/6 but they have gone now.

Sometimes you find a reason but often not. The more they become a fully active child the more you can simply support but not fix.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 07:11:42 am »
It's only like a 15 min show and it's really just part of the "routine".
My children never really seemed to have a problem sleeping after TV, but  I know my nephew did & my sister said that 15mins was worse than an hour, it seemed to be if he watched much longer he settled but if it was a quick show he took ages to unwind, she said it was like the TV slowed down his body, but hyped up his brain, & he'd be kicking around in the bed & chatting for ages. He now as a 13yo reads for at least 1 hour before he goes to sleep. So it may only be a short show, but it could still hype up his brain none the less.

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline greenlady

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 17:39:57 pm »
With DS I think it is just a developmental stage. He processes all he has done in the day and wants to go over it in his brain.  I hear him chatting to himself and having conversations pretending to be at school.  So, I think it will pass and the trick is just getting him to accept that he stays in bed.  A slightly later bedtime (as a treat for being a good boy and not calling out for us), and lots of outside play after school seem to be working so far...but who knows it will probably change next week. ;>)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 18:42:48 pm »
Thanks everyone. Going to continue with our routine and leave some extra time for his reading. And hope it passes :) what's an average bedtime or amount of sleep for a 4 year old?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 00:49:06 am »
Another almost 9 pm before falling asleep and getting out of bed a bunch of times ugh! Nothing is working g.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 13:38:51 pm »
He's not getting out of bed as much but his bedtime is definitely later and he's waking earlier. He went from a consistent 12-12.5 hours sleep to 11 tops. Maybe he just needs less sleep as he approaches his 4th birthday. The only thing that I can't get a handle on is the wild crazy behavior that sometimes starts around 4 pm and lasts until he passes out around 815/30. That used to mean he was just tired. Now I'm not sure what it is. But he's so overstimulated it's even hard in bed trying to read or chat. He's flipping and talking gibberish and rolling around on the floor!

Offline greenlady

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 13:15:01 pm »
I think so...just getting older.   Sometimes DS (5) doesn't pass out until 9, but he will go to bed no later than 8 and sleep through till 7 the next morning.  I've got the same thing about gibberish - we used to practise reading his school book before bed, but now he looses concentration and wants to play.  I think I'll have to do the homework earlier, and might try reading him an exciting story with (small) chapters a night to send him to sleep.  It will be something useful to use as bribe - if you want another chapter, you have to stay in bed..

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 00:48:44 am »
I can't even keep him focused on a little story book these days. Tonight it's 845 and he's still up in his bed for 45 mins now. How is he not tired ?! Its been over a month that he's having trouble going to sleep. He's not even 4 I think 8pm is pretty late as it is let alone 9 pm!! My husband is in bed 830/9 as he wakes up early so it's just a mess here. Ugh.

Offline greenlady

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 16:37:24 pm »
So sorry, it is hard.  Is there's anything he's eating to keep him fired up? Does his behaviour during the day suffer as a result of him being OT?  If so, it may be worth getting a medical opinion....overactive something or another?  Be good to rule it out.  Also, just a thought,  but do you think he might do it to keep DH up - ie attention seeking? just random thoughts as I don't know what else to suggest! :(

My book idea is working so far (Paddington abroad) and keeping him outside as long as possible after school is helping too. I'm just holding on to the thought that when he's a teenager,  I won't be able to get him out of bed. ;)  Only 8 more years to go.
Hope it gets better soon.
Julia

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 13:56:03 pm »
I'll try a new book and see! He's just so wound up as soon as he gets into the room! I'm really thinking he needs less sleep. I can't think of what else it is and it happpens no matter how busy and active of a day he has. I've been waking him in the morning in hopes that he'll be more tired and ready for bed because I just think 9 pm is way to late for a guy who's not even 4!

Offline greenlady

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 16:40:17 pm »
Yes, I agree, 9 pm is late for 4 yo and I'd say older.  But if he is happy and not OT during the day, and gets up easily in the morning, then maybe it is.  I know some mums whose kids are 4 and wake up at 5am,  bed after 8.  I'd be trying to "fix"that!  Another thought - is it related to lighter nights - did it happen during the winter too.

Incidentally, I've just come back from a school trip.  Nearly all the kids in the class slept in the bus on the way back.  My DS didn't - talked ALL the way back (1.5 hour long).  Is your DS like that? I think it is just his character, to not miss a thing. So, I'm happy as long as he is quiet once he goes to bed.  He may not go to sleep, but he is resting (occasionally I hear him moving).  I think it is just him and he takes a while to wind down.  More to the point - it means I'm off duty at 8.30, and I really need that!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2017, 11:13:52 am »
I've been trying to wake him in morning by 7 in order to get him asleep by 8. So far he's still up until 9! Ugh

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 11:41:41 am »
I've been waking him for a week or two now in the morning at 7/715 in hopes that he'll be tired at bedtime. So far he's still not falling asleep until 9 (one night it was 830) and he's tired during the day and early evening and has a hard time waking in morning. Maybe I should just let him sleep and try starting bedtime earlier ( or at old time)? Maybe the later start to the windown is not helping? I'll try anything at this point to get him to bed by 8.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 21:21:17 pm »
Have you shifted the whole afternoon earlier or are you just trying to shift the last hour or so & rush the evenings to get bed at 8... because maybe its about his 'routines & rituals" & time from eating to his body slowing down etc.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2017, 23:00:58 pm »
Routines are still the same no change which is why it's odd that he's falling asleep so late for so long now. This morning he wouldn't get up he was so tired so I just let him catch up. How long do Developmental disturbances usually last? Between him going to bed so late and my lo up so early I'm fading fast :)

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2017, 04:02:51 am »
Routines are still the same no change which is why it's odd that he's falling asleep so late for so long now.

My thinking is that if you are trying to get him to bed earlier then you could try shifting his whole afternoon & evening routine earlier, as he must need that longer time to unwind, So if he is falling asleep at 9 & you want 8pm then shift dinner, bath everything an hour earlier so that he still has that time between dinner & bed that's he's having when he falls asleep at 9pm
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 10:09:42 am »
Last night we started bath etc earlier at 7 gave him plenty of time to relax in his tub pjs books and a bit of chatting singing etc our usual routine. I left his room around 8 and he fell asleep around 830/40. Which is better but 1.5 is kind of a long bedtime routine lol. It took him about 40 mins alone to fall asleep and only got out of bed once. I guess I can keep trying to start the routine early and give him that extra time to wind down to see if it helps because starting it later is just leading to later bedtime which is what I was doing thinking he wasn't tired enough and needed to be up later but it just seems that he beds more time to fall asleep and he's pretty wired/chatty even for that 30 mins he's alone in his room. He def has a lot going on as far as wanting to learn to read etc.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 11:38:19 am »
Which is better but 1.5 is kind of a long bedtime routine

It's not 1.5 hours though is it... if you had a bath at 7 & then left him at 8pm, then I'd say it was 1 hour including a bath, it just took him the extra time to drift off & if he only got out of bed once, then it sounds like it worked because he was in bed at 8pm.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 01:32:54 am »
I've been trying to wake him in the morning but he still wasn't falling asleep until 9. And he was getting ot during the day. So I stopped waking him or at lest not until 8 and he's still falling asleep by 9 but he's not getting ot and cranky. I really think it's the lighter nights. Even though I have blackout curtains in his room it's still light out when we are winding down. I've been taking him upstairs later and he's been going to sleep in 30 mins by 830 which is great but that's with him waking at 8 am. Probably not much I can do until after summer.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 13:56:31 pm »
Any tips on how to get him back on his old schedule of 8 bedtime 7 wake up. He's still not falling asleep until 830 earliest then I have to wake him at 8 for camp and he's exhausted. Then he complains of being tired during the day which he never has before. He seems to need 12 hours sleep but when I try for earlier bedtime it just takes him longer to fall asleep.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 00:31:52 am »
I'd just try shifting the whole part of your day after about 4pm earlier... start every step 10mins earlier for a few days then 20mins earlier... a lot is about the routines and rituals rather than the clock
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 10:32:36 am »
Ok that's what I've been doing. His dinner and then calm time with his dad on the sofa and his snack his bath or shower and his story in his bed before lights out. Just can't seem to fall asleep earlier.