Author Topic: Advice for EW 17 months old  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Han12345

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 03, 2017, 12:10:53 pm »
Hi ladies.

I have had some great help from you before but there's always something new with these little ones isn't there.

My little girl keeps waking around 5.30/5.45am. The other day it was 5am  :-\

How do I encourage her to sleep a little longer. She used to do till 6.30/7am no problem. I have been looking at bringing her nap forward a little as I was pushing her closer to 1pm and i wondered if this was the problem. We had 2 days where she slept till 6.45 and I thought I had cracked it. Then we went back again.

My husband is wondering if she is napping too long in the day. She usually naps around 1.45/2 hours. Very rarely any more and to be honest I thought this was normal so I don't want to be waking her. This is how her days are looking more recently:

5.45 - start waking up
6.30 - try leave her as long as I can to play in her cot without upset. Will get her out of bed around 6.30.
7 - breakfast
9 - snack
11.30 - lunch
12 - 6oz bottle, book and down for a nap
12.20/30 - usually asleep
2.15ish - wakes
2.30 - snack
4.30/5ish - tea
6pm - start bath, bottle, book and bed
6.45/7 - usually asleep

Oh my today though she woke at 5.45 and she's been down for her nap since 12ish and is just going wild. Running around her cot and won't seem to try sleep. It's 1pm now so she's been like this for an hour. I feel like she could be over tired now.

Last week she had a morning of waking at 5. To be honest she's been sleeping so bad I decided to try let her have 2 naps that day. She went back to bed at 9 and slept for nearly 3 hours. Then she didn't have another nap the rest of the day and was fine. Think she still woke early the next morning.

She always struggles the most for tiredness in the morning. I ideally would like her down for 12 but it doesn't always work like that. Lunch sometimes takes a while. Today I wanted to try get her down for 11.30/45 ish but I had the dentist so that didn't work out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Han12345

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 13:32:41 pm »
She's just woken up after 1.15hr upset. By the time I got up to her she has settled and gone back to sleep. She keeps doing this in the night too. Should I get her up considering it 2.30pm now?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Advice for EW 17 months old
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 15:30:07 pm »
Hi there, sorry I was at work and didn't get on in time to answer your question....did you get her up?

Looking at your day she isn't doing a bad night really, with a 6.45 BT a 5.30/5.45 WU at this age with 2 hour nap is good, 11 hours over night sleep.

You may need to push BT a little later to see if that helps. I'd stick with nap 12.30 ish and if it's 2 hours I'd shoot for 7/7.15pm BT.

By comparison my 15 month old does WU 6/6.30, nap 12/12.30-2/2.30 bt 7/7.30 x
Zoe

Offline Han12345

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 20:11:06 pm »
Thanks for your reply Haribo2012.

I ended up leaving her and she did another hour. Woke up clingy and grumpy though.

Yes I suppose if you think of it as 11 hours it is not bad. I will try pushing her bed time back and see if it makes much difference.

It's great to know other babies are doing the same and I'm on the right tracks. I'm pleased the 2 hour nap isn't too much - I need that time in the day. Haha.

Xx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 21:13:49 pm »
I'd definitely try pushing BT a little and keep the nap just to see, if nothing changes then just shave 15 mins off but at 2 if she's average sleep needs 2 hours is good.

These babies keep us guessing and always move the goal posts, but the 2 hours peace is great  :)
Zoe

Offline Han12345

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:27:08 am »
Well a few weeks on from my OP and she's been awake since 4.55 this morning  :o

The later bed time worked for nearly a week and she was waking up around 6.30ish. I thought we had cracked it but we are back to square one.

In the last couple of weeks bed times have become party time. She's happy to go to bed or down for a nap and doesn't get upset. We have bottle and book before I put her down and she settles but then it's like she can't relax. She's rolling all over and then is sitting up, throwing things everywhere and running up and down the cot. This could go on for an hour before she finally settles.  Same at bed time. The problem is I can see she is tired and ready to sleep when I take her up so it's not like she is under tired. Some night she hasn't been falling asleep till 7.30/7.45 but she's still waking at 5/5.30ish. 

I have removed everything from the cot to try help. She only has 3 small soft teddies and a pillow. The pillow seems to be the worst culprit as she's always throwing it around. She doesn't use it at all. Removing these doesn't seem to have helped.

She's also been getting very hot but then I was worried she was cold in the morning so waking early. I've removed her waterproof sheet, and she's been in less clothing. This morning though her room is as warm as last night so she can't be waking due to being cold?!

Yesterday she was at nursery and only managed 35 mins nap. So I'm not convinced less sleep is working out for her.

Her room is totally blacked out. Although she's near the door so I might try turn her cot so the light from the door frame doesn't effect her (I'll try anything).

When she wakes she isn't upset. She just starts looking around, sucking her thumb and then chatting. Then she gets more worked up as the time passes. Until around an hour after waking she starts crying because she can't settle or is bored.

So this morning has gone like this:

4.55 - woke and chatted a little for an hour
5.50 - she got upset - I went in to change her nappy. Told her it was still bed time. She's yawning away and rested on me for a cuddle so I know she's still tired. I put her back down and there were no tears. She tried to relax and put her thumb in.
6 - she threw her comforter out the cot and got upset - I went through and she happily took it off me and settles again.

It's now 6.30 and she's calmly in her cot, relaxed. I'll get up with her soon now.

So what's my next step? I've been wondering if it's teething or growing and I know we have to expect these things sometimes but it's been going on for so long now.

Also what do I do with nap time today? Stick with 12/12.30?

Thanks ladies. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Xx

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:35:13 am by Hb5000 »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 19:39:09 pm »
have you tried a really early bedtime just to see if it's OT that's getting her up early?
Zoe

Offline Han12345

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 13:32:44 pm »
No I haven't actually but this could be what it is as by 10am she's usually pretty tired but I put her off till after lunch.. Will give it a go. Thank you. X

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 19:05:41 pm »
Always worth a go x
Zoe

Offline Han12345

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:45:20 am »
Last night I got her down for 6.35pm. She fell asleep about 7.15 and she slept till 6.20am. So seems to have worked last night? Will see how the next few days go. Thanks for all your help. X

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 12:22:13 pm »
That's great, sometimes they just need a couple of early ones to reset the day as such.x
Zoe