Author Topic: How do I do Wake to Sleep?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline peacefulwarrior

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:32:29 am »
Hi there,
My 4 year old always sleeps for between 10 & 11 hours at night but gets overtired very often.
Can you please send me to the link to learn how to do Wake to Sleep?  I remember doing it with my daughter with success.
I'd like to get him to sleep between 11 & 12 hours if possible.
So when do I wake him in the night? 
He's generally asleep by 730/8 pm and awake by 6 am.  As a baby he woke up around 730 though and if he ever sleeps that long, he does much better emotionally and physically.
So if he's waking at 6 am on his own, what time in the night do I do the wake to sleep process?
thanks so much!
Monica

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: How do I do Wake to Sleep?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:48:30 am »
If there's an habitual waking at 6am, you would do W2S at 5am. Have you tried an earlier BT?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How do I do Wake to Sleep?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 18:12:27 pm »
the link is here but there isn't really any further info other than what bec already said
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=223809.0

FWIW some people have results with young children by going in and disturbing them with the W2S at the parents BT (so around 10pm ish say) rather than getting up an hour before LO wakes.  It seems to kick start a new sleep cycle and can then lead to a slightly better night length.  Might be worth a try.

I would also look at how dark the room is.  When mine was 4yo I thought we could manage a while without total black out - we couldn't - he just started to take earlier and earlier as the mornings here became lighter. I thought we could try again at 5yo and ended up doing the full black out again. And yet again at 6yo I have had to fully black out his room yet again - he is very able to tell me that he is tired but the light is waking him (this was when it was barely spring and to me it still seemed dark out but he is sensitive to the smallest change in light).  With total black out my 6yo is able to do 11 or 11.5hr nights.