Author Topic: My LO will only give me one nap  (Read 1380 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
My LO will only give me one nap
« on: May 08, 2017, 23:38:06 pm »
This is getting maddening!!

I can only get one nap out of my LO...
She is 7 months old, no teething that I can see, occasionally grunting (trying to poop?)

Her naps are systematically getting shorter. [ Was 2h.. then 1.5, then 115, then 60 min, 40 min] This was happening with first and/or second naps .

By making adjustments I have been able to get one good nap usually 1:15-2:00h (if it is her first nap) then the 2nd has progressively gotten shorter. If first is short usually with adjustments the second will be reasonable.

Now today she will not settle at all for her second nap. After retry ended up nursing and letting her sleep in my arms for 30 min.

She is pretty textbook, so I don't let her fuss longer than 15-20 min, then I usually retry.

I have been increasing her AT (this is the only reason I get one good nap), but if I have one good nap it almost garentees that I won't get a 2nd (short or non existent).

I had moved her up to 3:30 from 3:15, with out any significant results.

Today she had a Dr. Appointment that went long and she went down after 4h AT... She slept without a peep for 1:45. I was shocked. 4h seems like a long time to be awake. Anybody else have similar AT with their 7 month old?

If so what about second AT? My LO gave me sleepy cues after 3:20, but never did settle. She is usually rolling, spinning, cooing, and some mantra cries in there. When she does settle, it is a short nap.

At one point I was thinking/Wondering if I should cap her first nap at 1.5h? Would I get a better second nap and therefore more total daytime sleep? But I am afraid to interfere with a good nap...

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: My LO will only give me one nap
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 00:06:45 am »
Yes, my DS did a 4-3-2 routine around that age. first A time 4hr, next one 3hr, last one 2hr. I wouldn't cap shorter than 2hr if you can help it. I had to APOP the second nap for quite a while, often if DS was in a leap or gaining a new skill :)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:37:47 am »
Thank you, I may try something like that.

I was thinking that her second nap was UT, but it could be OT because she does show sleepy signs much earlier in her second AT.

Offline KBolton

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:36:08 am »
My baby does a 2-3-4 awake time she never last long in the morning but can stay up a lot longer in he evening. Just keep experimenting with your awake times and I'm sure you can find something that works for your LO.

Do you have the wonder weeks book or app? At 7 months there is a big development in the baby's brain. My baby started waking and fighting sleep and wanting held. I haven't fed her to sleep since she was tiny and ended up having to do this for the odd nap (only on and off for a week or so). She also began waking at night (she normally sleeps through). If she's showing new skills, this can impact sleeping, it didn't last for long.