Author Topic: Anybody experience early and or more frequent night wakings while Weaning DF?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
My LO has always been a pretty good night sleeper. She has been down to one night feed for many months and recently she has been STTN about 60% of the time (depends on how she eats during day)

My LO is now 7 months and I have started Weaning the DF (10pm from 11pm).

The last few nights she has woken as early as 130am to feed, and has had other night wakes that require resettling or PU PD. I know I am fortunate, but I have never had to PU PD at night before.

Could this be a phase? Doesn't seem to be teething...

Thanks!!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
So you moved the DF from 11pm to 10pm and left all other details the same? If so, its probably just that you're disturbing her sleep in a different point of the sleep cycle. That's partly why the timing of the DF is important. If you were to still do the DF at 11 but reduce it by 1oz every 2-3 days, she should pick up the missing calories in the day and you may not have as many issues with waking through the night.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
She is breastfed and didn't know how to properly reduce amount given at DF so I have been slowly bring the DF sooner by 15 min increments.

I can't seem to find a way to get my BF baby to drink more during the day.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
I have no idea - DF never worked for DS. He did though, have 2 NFs still at 7 months and I think that's reasonable. Do you offer both sides at DF? Maybe just one side instead... Or I vaguely recall someone reducing time fed by 1min every 3-4 days or so.

I offered EBM instead of water with solids meals - that helped me drop a feed.

TBH though, at 7 months, to be going through the night with just a DF is pretty good.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
She has been taking less (time drinking) as I have been feeding earlier. I think that is the theory with doing it this way. My LO only feeds off the right side :( (another issue for another board haha).
But since my LO has some variance in her day time feeding already, it is so hard to know if she is making up for it.

It makes sense that her odd night wakes may be related to interrupted sleep cycle. I hope it doesn't last.

I was thinking if I should just go cold turkey with the DF, she is waking up anyways??

I will try 10:00pm one more night and see what happens.