Author Topic: 11 month old wakes every 3 hours!  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Heatherjethea

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 10, 2017, 23:06:40 pm »
Hello! My eleven month old has NEVER slept through the night and I'm starting to lose my mind. I'd love any suggestions out there on how to help. A little background - she gets about 25 oz of formula during the day (6 before bed) plus three full meals. She's up at 6:30-7:00, naps at 9:45 for 2 hours and again at 3:00 for another hour. She goes down for naps and bed awake with cuddles and a little rocking. She gets a bath and lotion massage before bed every night. When she wakes at night I nurse her and put her back to bed. Sometimes she goes right back to sleep, sometimes it's a 1.5-2hr battle to get her back to sleep.

Should I just let her cry it out at night to stop her night wakings? I don't think she's drinking much while breastfeeding - more nursing for comfort. I don't think I can stay in her room to comfort her as it just wakes her up even more :(

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:32:50 am »
Do you only nurse her at night and offer bottle during day?
~Marta

Offline Heatherjethea

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 17:12:25 pm »
Yes, she only nurses at night and gets formula during the day. She was EBF until 9 months when I started subbing in formula, and should note that her new got wakings have been consistent through that process (meaning they didn't increase or decrease). I didn't want to attempt night weaning until the one year mark so that she can have some breast milk for a full year.

Update:

I want to add to the above that maybe her daytime schedule is giving her too much sleep. She wakes at 6:45ish, naps two hours in the morning, and 1-1.5 hours in the afternoon. I wake her up at 4:15 if she's still sleeping. Is this too much daytime sleep? Should I shorten her morning nap so she has a longer wake window before bed? Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 18:16:23 pm by Heatherjethea »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:50:08 am »
Hello Honey and sorry that I haven't responded for so long. In general - yes, it's a lot of sleep, but on the other hand, if her night wakings aren't long and she nods ok at bedtime, I wouldn't change the routine. I would say the culprit is the fact that you have responded with breast at every night wakings. No when she is 1yo I would just stop feeding at night being honest and would resettle any other way.
~Marta