Author Topic: Newbie - desperate for help with all sleep. Please!  (Read 3396 times)

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Newbie - desperate for help with all sleep. Please!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:54 am »
After that bad night, we had terrible length naps, lots of OT and then another horrendous night followed by an EW.
I don't understand what I'm doing so wrong.
I'm exhausted.

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 05:55:41 am »
We're still struggling with this and I'm still up 10+ times a night.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 07:27:53 am »
That is a lot of wakings, especially towards the later part of the night. Are you sure there is no ongoing discomfort from his allergies?  How are you settling him?

How much milk does he have in the day?

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 08:50:06 am »
He has cut a second tooth this week but to be honest, his sleep isn't any less terrible on a normal night.

He often wakes frequently from 4am onwards. Last night it was every 15mins from 4am-5:30am and then he was wide awake.

He doesn't srem to be uncomfortable from allergies recently- I recognise the signs now. In the day he has 4 bottles but they're not massive. 4/5oz at waking. 3-4oz midmorning and then the same again midafternoon. He has 5-6oz at BT. I use 3oz in his porridge at breakfast. He's on 3 meals a day and eats well with solids.
So on an average day I'd say he takes 16oz+3oz in porridge.
He's never in his life taken more than 5oz in a feed and the HV told me this was fine as long as he was having about 18-20oz a day and that was at 6months old. He's now just turned 8 months and sometimes doesn't have his midmorning bottle at all and prefers a snack.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 19:06:07 pm »
20oz is I believe the low end of recommended for this age but perhaps that's ok for him.

How do you settle him at night wakings?

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 19:58:33 pm »
20oz is I believe the low end of recommended for this age but perhaps that's ok for him.

How do you settle him at night wakings?

My HV told me that 18-20oz was the minimum but that this was still plenty to be having. He is a big boy, especially for saying he was premature, but has never drank more than 5oz in a feed. He's never been a big fan of milk - I put it down to him having undiagnosed milk allergies for 6months and now associates milk with being uncomfortable and just drinks enough to get by!

During NWs he has a dummy which I replug (although when he self settles he doesn't always have it so I know he's not 100% reliant) and sssh pat. On most NWs before 4am this is a very quick process - less than 2mins. After 4am the dummy sometimes doesn't cut it and he continues to moan, the sssh pat takes longer or doesn't work at all. If I am unable to settle him in his cot after 10mins I tend to try PUPD but he's quite heavy for that now and I end up just holding him or co-sleeping once it gets to 5:00am.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 11:20:43 am »
Have you ever tried a feed at 4am just to see if hunger could be an issue?