Author Topic: 2 week old 3 hour easy helllllppp!!!  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:39:20 am »
Little one just turned two weeks, first week I let him do his thing and see where he fell naturally. He could do 4 hours between feeds, but I felt that was to much so I moved him to a 3 hour easy. The last couple of days I would let him slept til he woke to feed usually 3-4 he range from last feeding. Now I feed every 3 hours regardless. Sometimes he is sleeping so I wake to feed him, sometimes he goes back to sleep other times I put him to bed around anywheres from 1 he to 1:30hr mark. I just watch for his cues and his fristbyawn and then take him to his room. I tried to swaddle
Him but he hates it with a passion, he likes his hands free and in his face. Today it seems like after an hour of sleep... he wakes again... I thought it was hunger so I did a yield and after feeding I got over 3 oz... so I know he's getting enough milk. Now I can only assume he is tired or over tired which is causing the waking or perhaps I'm rushing in to early? How long does one let a newborn cry at that age? I think perhaps tomorrow I should just let him sleep longer as I'm sure the waking is from being over tired and see where that goes? Thoughts anyone? Activity time is not always 1 hr to 1/12hrs... I just watch for cues and try shush pat if he is fussy.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 2 week old 3 hour easy helllllppp!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:52:02 am »
Are you waking him from every nap? That can result in OT. Is there some concern re: weight gain or some such that means you're waking to feed every 3hr? If not, I would go back to what you were doing since it was working. He will 'wake up' from this sleepy newborn phase soon enough.

Some babies don't take to a swaddle, one less thing to wean :) You don't have to do it if he can sleep fine without it.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:14:04 am »
Oh thank goodness for that! I will just let him sleep til he stirs and then feed and perhaps use the soother to keep him somewhat on a schedule ( give him a soother for 5-10 minutes to round out the timing etc.) he is usually pretty good about that. Tonight he went to bed at 7:30, stirred at 8:30... I feed him again and he slept til 12:30... woohoo. No issues with birth weight etc all that is good and very healthy boy. I will just let him sleep til he stirs and work from there. Thank you so much for the input!

Any suggestions on sleeping, I find he sometimes settles well into the crib and will drift off to sleep with no problems. Other times I have to do sush pat... I wonder if it's because he's been it pretty much the whole day and needs that extra step to settle him?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 2 week old 3 hour easy helllllppp!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:24:43 am »
Any suggestions on sleeping, I find he sometimes settles well into the crib and will drift off to sleep with no problems. Other times I have to do sush pat... I wonder if it's because he's been it pretty much the whole day and needs that extra step to settle him?

He's 2 weeks old, really just go with it, sometimes they need extra (even my 12yo wants an extra cuddle some days) & sometimes they don't, best piece of knowledge about parenthood, is it will never go exactly to plan & it's not the plan that's wrong, its the expectation that it can always go to plan that's wrong - if that makes sense.

When I had my first the Midwife told me "one unsettled period a day (which could be between 1 & 6hours) one unsettled day a week & one unsettled week a month is pretty "normal" for a new born.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05