Author Topic: Having a hard time making it to BT!  (Read 1417 times)

Offline My little Liam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
Having a hard time making it to BT!
« on: May 13, 2017, 18:52:22 pm »
This is our routine

WU 7
A 2.5hr-2hr45
S 0930/0945-1045/11
A 2hr45-3hr
S 1345/1400-1500/1515
A 4hr15
BT 1930

I wrote 1930 BT because that is our ideal. Mostly because DD seems to do an 11.5hr night max unless she has a really bad nap day. My problem is that most of her naps are 1hr15-1hr20. Her sleep cycle is 40 minutes. Very hard to do 2 naps when your child doesn't nap longer and only does an 11.5hr night. We just can't make it to BT! If I do earlier BT she wakes earlier. I have tried going with it and once we got a 6 am wake up to do a 3 nap day but on a 3 nap day she EW the next morning so we get stuck...
What do I do??

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Having a hard time making it to BT!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:22:55 am »
My DS also had a 40 min sleep cycle. His A time needed to be long enough to see him through 3 cycles to get a 2hr nap.  It means learning to transition twice in the nap (rather than once for a 45 min cycle and a 1.5hr nap), maybe part of it is increasing the A a bit and maybe part is teaching the habit of the longer nap.  Can she do another 15 min on her A time do you think?  Then perhaps try W2S on the second transition (go in before that usual wake up time of 1hr 20, say 1hr 10 and either begin shush/pat or have your hand hovering over her to sooth her over the moment she starts to stir) to teach her to nap longer.
If you can get even 1 2hr nap it would help get through the day more easily. Plus if the morning nap is 2 hrs she can likely to a little longer on the second A time too which would be another help.

Is she not coping well with that long last A time then?  Some LOs don't mind it so if she's okay with it and your routine is consistently like this and works then I'd leave it. If she's a terrible fuss and getting OT I'd increase the earlier A times even if it didn't result in a longer nap, just evens out the day more.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 08:44:08 am »
She can't handle it! And we have tons of NW after BT so I know it's making her OT. We have had 2hr naps sometimes so she does know how but they are completely random and then we only get a 30 min afternoon nap which makes everything even worse!
I have tried pushing her A times and we get 30 minute naps so I don't think she can do more than 2hr45 in the morning and 3h in the afternoon. I guess after a 2hr nap I could try 3hr15 but like I said it's completely random...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:55:17 am »
Hmm..it might just be a case of baring with it until she can handle the longer time. It's hard I know, mine seemed to run on a 23hr hour day and it was hard to drag him through to BT.
Could you try even an additional 5 or 10 min A time on the morning to see if it helps to stretch to a 2hr nap?
And if you do get a 2hr nap 9random or daily) I would increase that second A time accordingly to try to keep both naps long.

Yes, tricky, that in between stage when the longer A is too much but you can't fit another nap in and early BT is too early.  You might have to wing it for a bit.