Author Topic: Early waking a  (Read 3683 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Early waking a
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 18:06:23 pm »
LOs with reflux can sometimes sleep quite well at night but really struggle with naps.  Either at night they are more relaxed so it is less bothersome or they are just so exhausted that they crash out and get some sleep. (mine slept well at night with silent reflux until it became really bad for him)
I just think it is something to keep in mind if you are continuing to have such disturbance to naps.

A 2 hr nap is good - was that in the cot or in arms?

Offline Kimbayley

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 19:54:22 pm »
That was in cot. He doesn't generally seem distressed even changing nappy after feed or lying on play mat but yes I will keep that in mind. Is it common to only be diagnosed later. Hopefully only a mild case 😱

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 20:20:09 pm »
Haven't tried full nap in my arms for a while but he seems more comfortable being put down as he also wriggles there to get in s more comfy position. I have noticed his tummy gets quite bubbly even when we have tried to get all burps out. He also farts a lot. Could it be that he is a very windy baby? What age generally do they stop posseting?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 19:05:50 pm »
Is it common to only be diagnosed later.
Your LO is only about 2 months old now I think. Mine was 5.5 months before getting diagnosed and medication from the paediatrician. Prior to that every doc and health visitor said he was fine, he wasn't but I don't think I had any thoughts of reflux or silent reflux at 2 months old.

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 20:08:34 pm »
Oh wow! Did he just get worse & worse? What age did he out grow it?

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 20:09:19 pm »
And yes dr & hc have said he is fine

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 21:58:52 pm »
Did he just get worse & worse?
When I looked back I kind of realised that a lot of his crying had been due to the silent reflux at the time had no idea. Yes it did gradually get worse but also there are so many things going on with babies that I found it hard to tell what's what. I found BW forums when he was about 4 months old, he was going through the 4 month regression, from 3.5 months...but it's almost impossible to know how much of that "regression" was pain and inability to stay asleep because he was refluxing lying down and how much of it was normal developmental sleep issues.  He had been self settling since about 8 wks old so it wasn't like he didn't know how to sleep, he did.
The information and lovely ladies here helped me to recognise the signs and encouraged me to seek professional medical advice, and when I was told he didn't have reflux the ladies here encouraged me to go back to the docs again.  When it became worse he was spitting up milk hours after a feed when I lay him down to change his nappy, up until then there had been no spit up, that's how silent reflux is, symptoms but not obvious ones that I'd think of, he didn't bring up an entire feed for instance.
The difference when he was diagnosed and medicated was amazing.
There have been other illnesses which are on the reflux symptoms list and honestly I have no idea if my DS had those because he had reflux or if they were all separate, ear infections, wheezing, asthma.

I tried to drop the meds once when he wasn't ready. Tried again at 24 months which worked out pretty well. But even since then the symptoms returned (and again I got help from the ladies here). He is 6 years old  now and every few months or so we realise he is struggling even if he doesn't tell us, hiccups, wheeziness (he no longer uses an inhaler daily as we dropped that too, he only uses a couple of times per year now), disturbed sleep, we can hear him refluxing but he doesn't vomit.  We start his meds again and continue for a few weeks then drop them again.  This seems to be working for now and I hope the time between gets longer.

Now, I'm not saying your LO has reflux or silent reflux...I'm just saying there are a few things that are making me think and it's worth keeping an open mind on it.  I'm certainly not a great source of info on the subject, I rely on others in the community to help me!  But those of us who have been through it are perhaps a bit more alert to the possibility.  I only have one child and when I had him I had no clue whatsoever about babies or reflux, I wish I'd known more and sooner as I could have saved him the pain and saved myself the heartache and hard work of coping with a refluxer who wasn't medicated.

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 22:13:32 pm »
Shame that sounds hard. I really hope my LO doesn't have it. I will definitely keep it in mind though. Thx so much. Hope your son out grows it. Mine has seasonal asthma (older son is 5 yrs) & he has ended up in hospital a few times!

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 07:04:22 am »
Hi Creations

Spoke to child health nurse when she came around today. She said she has seen enough of my LO to be sure he doesn't have reflux. I do see her regularly. She says he seems like a chilled out baby. I do hope she is correct!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 21:08:02 pm »
I hope she is right :)

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 23:36:39 pm »