Author Topic: 10mo waking earlier and earlier  (Read 1173 times)

Offline newfather

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:48:12 am »
Our daughter will be 10 months in a few days and has started to sleep through the night in the last week or so - bedtime is 7:30 and until a few days ago had been sleeping until any time between 5 and 6, taking a feed then going back to sleep until 7 or 7:30.  A few times she slept through right from bedtime until 6:30 and didn't go back to sleep - this wasn't too bad.  She generally has a morning nap between 1h and 1h30 and afternoon nap is typically around 30 mins but she has started to try to resist this sometimes (presumably the start of the 2-1 transition).  However in the last few days she has woken at 6, 5:50 and this morning 5:25 - obviously we would prefer she slept in a little later but we're not sure whether to cap the naps, move bedtime earlier/later etc. so advice would be much appreciated.  Her routine for the last couple of days is below:

Wednesday:
A 6:00
Dozed between 10:30 and 11:10 (coming home from a 10-10:30 swimming class)
S 11:10
A 12:40
S 15:30
A 15:50
S 19:15

Thursday:
A 5:50
S 10:44 (tried to put down at 10:10, refused)
A 11:48
S 16:10
A 17:10 (capped)
S 19:30

A couple of the morning A times here have been longer than usual (she usually does fine with 4h10/4h20) as on Wednesday she was on the way back from a swimming class (the morning nap usually falls nicely after this class with her "normal" morning wake up time) and refusing to go for the nap yesterday.  Thanks in advance.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 10mo waking earlier and earlier
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:23 pm »
Hi there
I see on your previous thread she was moving to about a 4hr A at 8 months so I would think by now she needs longer which makes it a bit harder to fit the naps into the day.
With the move towards 2-1 nap drop you'd be looking for one restful nap of 1.5-2hrs and one CN preferably. Some are fine with two shorter naps of say 1hr each but I'd aim for one being 1.5hr as we generally consider this restorative.
With the earlier waking I would just move her first nap time later to discourage her from waking earlier and earlier, the temptation is to put down for nap earlier after the usual A time (counting from when LO woke) but you probably have a better chance of shifting the Wu time by moving the nap to say 11am or 4hr 20 A time whichever is the longest and once the morning WU has shifted you could increase the first A time to 4hr 30 perhaps.
Over the coming days/week you can look towards shifting to a routine something like this:
WU 7
A
S 11.30
A
S 3.30/4-4.10/4.40 (40 min nap, can later be capped to 30 then 20 mins)
A
BT might need to move to 8pm

- If she refuses morning nap you might need to move it later
- If she refuses afternoon nap you could move later but cap it shorter to maintain a decent A time before BT
- If she is refusing BT you can move it later or cap nap 2 shorter which increases the A time before BT (mine always did fine on a shorter A time before BT but some LOs need a longer A time there)

It may take a little experimentation to get the routine right and each LO is different so this is only a guide.
Some LOs drop that second nap around 12 months so the CN in the afternoon can be APed if needed (car nap, sling nap, in arms etc) as bad habits will be dropped along with the nap and it is only a short time really. APing one CN per day is often needed to help LOs who refuse the nap but can't make it all the way to BT without one.

I hope this helps

Offline newfather

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 13:15:22 pm »
Thanks very much for the reply, she took her morning nap from 11:25-12:40 this morning.  Generally this is anywhere from 1h20 to 1h40 so we're quite happy with that still.  We'll try to keep the morning nap around when it should be for where we'd like her wake up (so around 11:20 or so) and then work the afternoon nap and bedtime from there.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 10mo waking earlier and earlier
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 17:25:12 pm »
Sounds good :)