Author Topic: Offering water  (Read 1222 times)

Offline BobbysMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:48:14 am »
Hi
My 7 month old wakes for one night feed, roughly between 1-3am. I started reducing this and got it down to 3oz so last night decided to offer water instead, My husband did 4oz  as that's the minimum the perfect prep machine makes and lo took it all. He then woke at 4.30am and was awake still at 5.30 when I decided to offer a bottle, he took 4oz. I'm trying to wean him off this bottle because he's having 3 meals a day and roughly 18-20oz formula a day too. If he has a night feed he takes only 1-3oz of his morning bottle... so I felt like he was dropping the wrong one. Am I doing the right thing? Should I have offered water again at 5.30 when I realised no amount of dummy or resettling was going to get him back off to sleep?
Many thanks x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:43 am »
20oz is the minimum amount of formula you'd want him to be having at this age. So it seems he was still hungry and I'd feed at night if he's not resettling.   I found I needed to make sure mine got their milk intake over solids or they'd wake more in the night. Formula has more calories per oz than solids. Does he drain his bottles during the day?

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:07:18 am »
He's never been a big milk drinker, I struggle to get milk down him. Especially since he got out put on neocate, which were slowly weaning off to see if it was in fact a milk allergy he had or just eczema. His skin is clear now. Now he's having a little bit more normal milk powder in his bottles be finished 2 yesterday. But no, he never drains his bottles. When I finally fed him at 5.30 he only took 4oz. I'm happy to continue giving him a night feed but it was just annoying that he then wouldn't have a morning one and it would kind of mess his routine up. But if that's what you suggest then I can work with it x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:27 am »
It is really annoying especially when it's puts them off their morning feed. The issue is if he's not resettling what can you do? I'd be tempted to feed at 1/2 rather than put him off or do you find it puts him off any fed in the night?

Offline BobbysMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:41:14 am »
Yeah that's the problem, he doesn't seem to settle well until he's had it. And yeah, even if I feed him if he wakes at 1am that will still put him off his morning bottle. It's just annoying more then anything because then everything is thrown out for the day. Just wanted to clarify, although he doesn't take big milk feeds he's doing well weight wise and is on the 50th centile and a chunky monkey... I wouldn't be contemplating taking it away if he was otherwise x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 07:20:30 am »
😘. He sounds lovely!

Maybe then rather than eliminating it completely just stick to 3oz if that what you got down to. Then in a couple of weeks try 2oz and then see can you resettle without?