Author Topic: 8 month old EW 5:00am  (Read 1659 times)

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old EW 5:00am
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:40:35 am »
My LB has just turned 8 months (7 months adjusted) and has suddenly started waking frequently during the night and then WU at 5-5:30am. He used to sleep through 10-11hours until around 4:30am and then we would resettle every half an hour/co-sleep to get to a better WU.

Our current EASY looks like this (with EWU)

WU 5:30
E 6:00 (bottle)
E 7:15 (breakfast)
S 8:30 - 9:30 (1 hour. Sometimes manages 1hr 15)

E 10:30 (bottle)
E 11:30-45 (lunch)
S 12:15/30 - 13:30 (1 hour, never longer)

E 14:30 (bottle)
*CN often forced at approx 16:00 as he'd never make it to BT - I have had to start putting this in since the EWs as I cannot stretch his A time further without him becoming OT.
E 17:00 (tea)

18:15 bedtime routine starts (quiet TV time, stories, bath, baby massage and pjs on with  white noise and dimly lit room)
E 18:45 (bottle)
S (BT) 19:00

Prior to his EW he would have 2 naps per day of an hour each and BT would be at 18:30.

He can't usually last more than 3h A time if he hasn't had a good nights sleep. I know I should be pushing his morning nap later but I'm struggling to do this without him becoming OT. Sometimes I've been having to put him down after 2.5h A time as he's dead on his feet.

Any advice much appreciated. This is all combined with waking every 1-2hours at night at the moment. I know I need to help him settle by switching his routine but I have no idea where to start.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:54:29 am by JCN »

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 8 month old EW 5:00am
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 14:06:44 pm »
I think the best place to start hun is pushing that first nap out to 9am.  Not going to lie, it isn't going to be easy, but I think that's the only way he's going to reset.  Once that nap is at 9am it will hopefully get you a longer morning nap (1.5-2hrs) which will then push the PM nap later so you will be able to get rid of the CN.  You'll kind of just have to cope with the OT for a few days, do a happy dance around him if you have to (lol!) to keep him going until 9am.  Even if he has an OT nap, they are often easier to resettle than UT ones.

Offline VnessMorris

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 15:49:44 pm »
I agree with pp; DD2 did the exact same thing at around 7 months of age (EWs @5-5:30am). Try and push the AM nap to as late as you can. Also, can your LO self play/hang out in the crib after these EWs? I noticed that if I let DD2 stay in crib as long as possible after WU, it would help push that first feeding and thus 1st nap to later. The low stimulation of self play in the dark while in the crib helped elongate that 1st AT and pushed that AM nap for us.

HTH!
V.
DD1 Angel Baby born Dec 16, 2014
DD2 Angel/Textbook Baby born Aug 27, 2016

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 16:03:31 pm »
Thank you both. I know I need to push back the first nap, but each time I do that he ends up just cat napping and then the second nap ends up needing to be earlier and I'm back at square one! It's a fine balance and not easy I know, each day I try and fail!

He will cry if I leave him in his cot but if I bring him into my bed he lies on his back looking around at the shadows and playing with his feet - I lie there with my eyes closed and ignore him until 6:00 when I feed him.

Offline VnessMorris

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 00:04:13 am »
I feel what you're going through...just got out of the same vicious cycle with DD2!

Can you shh/pat him back to sleep when he wakes at the 40/45min nap transition? I used to do that with DD2. Sometimes, if shh/pat didn't work, I would APOP for the 2nd half of her nap so that she could rest/sleep until the beginning of the next cycle, just to get back on track for the day.

Also, with DD2, I noticed her sleepy cues were changing/not the same at about 7 months. could this be happening with your LO?

V.

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 08:00:06 am »
I feel what you're going through...just got out of the same vicious cycle with DD2!

Can you shh/pat him back to sleep when he wakes at the 40/45min nap transition? I used to do that with DD2. Sometimes, if shh/pat didn't work, I would APOP for the 2nd half of her nap so that she could rest/sleep until the beginning of the next cycle, just to get back on track for the day.

Also, with DD2, I noticed her sleepy cues were changing/not the same at about 7 months. could this be happening with your LO?

V.

Thanks - I do ssh/pat nap transitions (35min sleep cycle) where needed but he hardly ever gets through more than 2 cycles. If he needs longer and he won't settle then I do tend to hold him and rock slightly so that he can get some rest. But I only do this if he is still obviously, desperately tired on WU.

His sleepy cues are tricky as because he has such disrupted sleep at the minute he seems to be constantly yawning and rubbing his eyes! Lol. Then, the other day, he was so hyper and laughing and playing when it got to nap time that I was convinced he would be under tired but i tried it anyway and hebselfnsettled in 2mins and slept well for an hour with no sssh pat... who knows!

Offline VnessMorris

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 18:59:35 pm »
Yup, what you describe with the changing sleepy cues sounds about right!  ::)

Are you keeping notes on his routine? I kept a detailed diary and that helped me figure out DD2's constant changing sleepy cues. What I noticed is that her sleepy cut changed for every cycle within one day! But she had a constant pattern of similar ATs over several days which helped me figure out her sleepy window. Could this be happening with your LO?

V.

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 21:03:37 pm »
I have tried keeping a diary before now but I ever seem to notice much of a pattern & I never know what I'm looking for.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 09:26:30 am »
Hi there
I agree with pp that keeping a record of your EAS times is really useful during these phases of tricky sleep and routine change.
If you don't see patterns in the records yourself there are likely members of the community willing to have a look for you.
As pp said the pattern may not be equal A times across the day but rather more of a pattern for each nap.

Otherwise at 8 months you can go directly to something approximating an appropriate routine for age and just stick with it, resettle when needed, and hope that it works out.

Offline JCN

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 14:28:44 pm »
Thanks - I am currently working on a routine of 3-3.5hrs A time and trying to see which exact timings work best.