Author Topic: Weaning addicted-to-the-boob 9mo  (Read 1853 times)

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 25, 2017, 18:31:05 pm »
So I was hoping to make it to a year of BFing but honestly there are four major factors in play
1. It's exhausting. He's a total demand feeder. I've found it super hard to get into any Easy routine as he feeds to sleep, wakes hungry and feeds for comfort
2. I need to lose baby weight and I find it almost impossible to do that whilst BFing as I'm SOOOOOoooo hungry!
3. I am going back to work in six weeks but have been asked to go to the US in 4 weeks for a week which would mean he needs to be weaned by then...
4. He has four teeth and he bites... HARD!

He is 9mo next week  a spirited baby and hardly eats solids. My first is 3yrs and was a complete textbook baby so. I feel like I'm still figuring it all out 9mo on with the one..

Any ideas??

Rough EASY:
Wake and BF 6am
Attempt at porridge/fruit 8am
Sleep 9am (BF to sleep)
Wake 1130am and BF
Attempt at lunch 130
Sleep 230-3pm (BF to sleep)
Wake 4pm
Dinner 5pm (actually eats this one)
Bath 6pm
BF and bed 7pm

DF 11pm
Extra night feed 3am

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning addicted-to-the-boob 9mo
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:47:08 pm »
Weaning at this age (under 12mo) means he'll need formula as a breastmilk substitute. Does he take a bottle at all? If not then getting him to take one is the first step. Unless of course you feel he'd be able to take whole feeds from a cup already. What do you thinK?

Here is a link to the FAQ on getting BF babies to take a bottle https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173309.0

And here's our FAQ on weaning. Have a look and see which approach would best suit you. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=157385.0

Feel free to ask any more questions you still have after reading the FAQs..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:54:36 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 18:25:15 pm »
Yes he does take the bottle... So I think my preference is for combination feeding... Keeping a couple of feeds (Maybe first thing and at bedtime) and then either formula or expressed milk. I now also need to go the US in three weeks for 5 days so I need to make a plan to transition from demand feeding EBF now to something workable for that week. My husband has stepped up and helps put him down which has helped the feed-to-sleep habit we had slipped into.

I'm wondering if I first focus on regular feeds (as opposed to whenever he wants it, which can be every 2hrs...) so he takes a full feed. And then introduce bottles during the day whilst I pump to fill the freezer.

I don't really feel like I know what I'm doing at all though. My first was feeding every 4hrs and sleeping 12hrs at night at this age but this one is spirited and much harder on figure out! He's utterly gorgeous though which totally makes up for it :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning addicted-to-the-boob 9mo
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 20:41:55 pm »
That sounds like  good plan.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011