Author Topic: Start by age or development age? 3 or 4 hour EASY to start?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline MamaBergs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I'm reading the books and have a billion post it notes but have one question... my baby is 2 months old but seems to be at the development level of 4 to 6 months.

She sleeps through the night, is very alert and active, can self settle if wakes up etc. but is use to being fed to sleep.

My question is - Should I start her on the 3hour EASY or the 4 hour EASY?

Thank you!!
Mama to two under 1.5

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Start by age or development age? 3 or 4 hour EASY to start?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:16:54 am »
Hi, Maybe try 3hr EASY and if you're getting UT naps, increase the A times a bit. What has she been doing so far in terms of time awake between naps? - Its worth starting there if its reasonable (eg. not 3hr).

Offline MamaBergs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:16:56 am »
Thank you for the reply!

Currently her daily consistencies are-

6.00am I wake her then Feed/activity til sleepy cues
7.30am Sleep
10.00am she wakes up (i dont wake her) then feed/activity til sleepy cues
11.30am Sleep
12.30pm she wakes up then feed/activity til sleepy cues
**From here i attempt multiple naps until she reaches overtired and just wants to comfort feed and nap 5-10mins here and there. Alternating from tired to happy and wanting to chat.
9.00pm feed (bottle with dad)
9.30pm ish ... sleep
2.30am dream feed

Thank you so much :)
Mama to two under 1.5

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:42:58 am »
So the morning looks great, I'd suggest starting with 3hr EAS based on what you've written there. Something else worth doing is maybe doing bedtime 12hr after she wakes for the day so she gets the 12hr day/12hr night. I think at the moment she's working as if night is 9pm til 10am. So you might get more consistent day if you can get her to run her night 6-6 instead :)

Offline MamaBergs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:01:49 am »
Thank you so much! I had a feeling the first nap was just a continue for her night sleep since it's so easy to get her down and she can sleep up to 3hrs that nap. We will work on your 3hr 6-6 feedback. Thank you!!

Sorry one last question- so does that mean we shouldn't do the PU/PD til she's 4months?
Mama to two under 1.5

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:07:25 am »
You shouldn't do PUPD until at least 4 months. Its a last resort to be considered when shush/pat has been tried consistently for two weeks minimum with NO improvement. There are also plenty of other reasons PUPD is not appropriate, chief among them is if the routine isn't right - cannot expect a baby to sleep if not sufficiently tired, nor can you expect a baby to learn much when overtired.

Is there a reason you're waking her at 6? If that's your ideal WU, that's fine but I think I'd spend at least part of that first A time outside and wake her after 2hr for that first nap just to help her get used to the day having started at 6. But then BT is 6pm, not 9 :)

Offline MamaBergs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 22:28:17 pm »
Can i please just clarify  -- when shes in the cot and unsettled and im having to do the shh pat to settle her, if she proper cries i pick her up until she calms/ stops crying and then put her back into the cot and continue the shh pat? (How its written in the Solves All Your Problems book). Just wondering how picking up her when shes cries is different to the PU/PD? Just a little confused between the two and want to make sure im consistent.

I was waking her at 6am because that seemed to be the consistent time she was roughly waking up herself (after observing and recording for a while) so i chose 6am in order to get some consistency. That's a great suggestion to take her outside before the first nap i'll definitely do that.

I'm starting the new routine on Monday (3hr Easy starting at 7am). If she keeps consistently waking up earlier in the morning and is happy, do i just stretch out A to keep the routine times?

And once the routine is settled in and working, when do i start to be a bit flexible on the times? I'm also a bit concerned about getting her to nap per the routine if she isn't tired, do i just keep trying for S until its E time and hope that it eventually falls into place?

Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 23:20:53 pm by MamaBergs »
Mama to two under 1.5

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 08:29:38 am »
There can be confusion about PUPD.
In the books Tracy refers to PUPD as part of shush/pat.  When a baby is young you use shush/pat and of course if she is crying you pick her up, calm in arms with shush/pat until totally calm and drowsy then put down in the cot and continue to shush/pat.  It *is* picking up and putting down but there are no timings, no limits to how long you hold her, shush/pat is used throughout and LO can be patted all the way to sleep if needed as this is gently weaned in stages.
On the forums we distinguish between PUPD and shush/pat a little differently.  With shush/pat being the go-to method (including though the picking up and calming in arms aspect and putting down when calm) and PUPD being a little different, a last resort method as bec said.  PUPD (in the books and on the forums) has specific age linked timed aspect where LOs are put down again even if still crying, you never leave LO and you pick up as many times as needed but the method does not use the shush/pat aspect and becomes tougher - young babies can lose too many calories by the continued crying which can come with this type of PUPD.
There is a FAQ which details the age differences with PUPD but I'm having connection difficulty at the moment so can't link it.

Hope this helps to clarify.