Author Topic: Sleep training and amount of sleep - Confused mom  (Read 1147 times)

Offline NotaDolce

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleep training and amount of sleep - Confused mom
« on: June 02, 2017, 18:44:59 pm »
Dear BW forum,

I'm a FTM and LO is 5 weeks old. I'd love to get some feedback from you about performing sleep training and understanding how much sleep LO needs.

Something about LO:

- Seems to hate swaddling but really needs it since has very strong startle reflex
- Seems to hate dark environments; goes down for naps better if room is light vs. dark (closed curtains)
- Feedings take quite long (50 min) and after LO is quite active; seems to have 1&1/2 to 2 hours awake time (sometimes skips sleeping completely)

Sleep training:

We are on a very flexible EASY routine focusing mostly on full feedings. Up to now LO used to fall asleep in arms with some kind of rocking/bouncing/walking (by people, no swings/bouncers...) and then be put in the crib. I'm trying now to put LO down in the crib awake. I would get LO to stage 3 then put in the crib sh-ing with hands on chest and legs. I would stay there for 20 mins past the jolts phase.

These are the problems I encountered:
- In order to wind down after first yawn, LO needs holding/rocking/walking to get to stage 3. Generally goes from crying to falling asleep directly, therefore is hard to be put in bed awake.
- If LO is not deeply asleep, the second he touches the crib (even with a smooth transition) either starts screaming (when in bad mood) or becomes completely awake (like ready to start again with feedings).
- If I put LO earlier in bed, it seems there is no way he falls asleep. He is super awake until he gets tired of me sh-ing and starts screaming.

When is the best time to put baby down? Sometimes LO is awake for long going directly into full-crying without previous sleep cues (Ex yawning).
LO almost never takes a pacifier; I'd like to know exactly how to use it in the process before insisting and making it a prop.
Is it maybe too early to try teaching "independent" sleep? (Of course not really independent for now)

Amount of sleep:

Overall LO sleeps around 10 hours a day, which is less than the typical. Is it normal for LO to have such long awake time? (btw, he seems happy and content during the day) This is a problem for the night feedings, since we get little sleep for each EASY cycle (and doesn't seem to go more than 4 hours between feedings).

Thank you very much in advance! :)
(First time posting, hope I did it right!)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Sleep training and amount of sleep - Confused mom
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:11:08 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry that you have not had a response yet, I shall bump your post for you now x

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Sleep training and amount of sleep - Confused mom
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 19:27:56 pm »
Hi and welcome :) congratulations on your new LO!

A lot of what you are describing sounds to me like very normal newborn behaviour. I found both of mine would sometimes stay awake for ages seeming totally content without anything much in the way of tired signs.  And to be honest I don't think in the early days that it's a big problem if they're happy, you're happy and it's working for all concerned.  However I did find fairly quickly after maybe the first 4-6 weeks or so that actually keeping a far closer eye on awake times really paid off in terms of ease of settling and quality/length of sleep.  This link is a helpful one to bookmark - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=84884.0 of course these are just averages, but I've found it to be a good guide for both of mine.

Other links that might be useful for you too look at are:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63243.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65842.0

In broad terms I would be focusing on getting feeding well-established, a rough EAS structure and perhaps trying for one nap a day in the crib at this stage.  You can also use shh pat in your arms to make the transition a little simpler later on.  Most of all please enjoy your baby though!  There's no 'right' way to do this, EASY gives shape and structure to the day and helps you learn to respond to your baby's cues, but how you exactly apply it in your situation is entirely up to you :)