Author Topic: 19 months wakes at 5:30  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Caroline5555

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 30, 2017, 21:12:19 pm »
My 19 month old naps 1-2:30/3 then goes to bed fine at 7ish. Used to sleep till 6-6:30 but now it's 5-5:30, which I can't cope with as I work as a consultant in acute medicine and don't function well if I've been up that early. He is teething, but could that make him wake early as opposed to throughout the night? He also doesn't seem in any pain with it in the daytime so I'm not sure that's it... Not wet through, not desperate for milk, just awake and happy and ready to go! Can tell he is tired within a couple of hours though and if he's in car or buggy in the morning he will usually now fall asleep, which he didn't used to do, so presumably he's catching up. Maybe I should cut his lunchtime nap? Help please!! From a very tired and busy doctor who knows nothing about babies!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 19 months wakes at 5:30
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 19:08:09 pm »
Hugs!!! (From another tired and busy doctor...)  My kids definitely woke early when teething canines/molars so that could well be a reason - it wasn't really painful enough to wake them in the night but once they came into light sleep I found there was enough discomfort or sensation to cause them to wake fully.  I've never tried but heard a 'dream meds' (pain relief at 3/4am ish) can sometimes help get through the early hours.  18 months is also a common time for a sleep regression, something to do with developmental leaps (often language-related) in which case best advice is just to ride it out and try to keep little one in bed as long as you can manage in the morning.  He may be a bit young to fully get the concept but you could start introducing a Gro clock or similar lights on timer to help as he gets a bit bigger.  I would try to avoid any early morning naps as that could well reinforce the early waking, but I think your lunchtime nap looks just fine for his age - certainly not excessive unless he has been a very low sleep needs baby in the past. 

Sorry that's not a huge amount of help!  But perhaps early to bed as you can manage in the short term and hang in there?

Offline Caroline5555

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 19:57:50 pm »
Thank you so much for your advice, all very sensible and helpful! Think you're right about avoiding re-introducing a morning nap, as on those days he definitely wakes earlier the next morning. Fingers crossed things improve when his teeth are fully through...

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 19 months wakes at 5:30
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 20:30:36 pm »
Here's hoping hey?!  Sending good vibes for a sleep-filled night :D