Author Topic: Naps and night waking  (Read 1622 times)

Offline paulak412

• Am I nuts or what!!
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Is it bedtime yet?
Naps and night waking
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:17:21 am »
So after trying gradual withdrawal for months and not making much progress I tried pu/pd at night. I discovered however that my presence prolonged her crying so I sat outside watching the monitor and after 3 nights she drops off after about 90 seconds crying. During the night she would wake and cry for a minute or 2 then drop off unless she was hungry (different cry) so I would go and bf her and put her to sleep, she is now however waking for the day at 5 amiss whereas when we Co slept it was 7ish.  She is 10 months and I don't think she needs 2 night feeds I'd like to eventually wean one out but work on the early mornings 1st as not to overwhelm her.

I. Also this morning have started to pu/pd for naps as she needs rocked and she is getting to big and I suffer from a  bad back and wrist. I done pu/pd and after a stressful 35 min she has dropped off. She normally needs rocked to sleep or patted to get into next sleep cycle, do I do this or just pu pd or let her wake up? She also NEVER sleeps in a pram or car seat so has anyone any suggestions on how to do that after I've sussed ew and naps?

Her routine give or take 30 min was looking like

Wake 6.30 am and bf
Eat 7 am
Nap 9.30 am(wind down about 20 min)
Wake 11 bf
Eat 11.30
Nap 2.30ish
Wake 3.30 bf
Eat 4pm
Bath 6pm followed by bf
Winddown
Bed 7

She normally is fed around 12 and 4 am

Mother to sheá 28.06 07 and eabhà 01.08.16

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Naps and night waking
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:09:16 am »
Hi - So sorry your post has been missed. I shall bump this for you now x

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:06:37 pm »
Hiya, sorry you didn't get any replies before now.

I think perhaps your long nap is a bit early in the day now and it may well be the cause, or contributing towards your early mornings.  Often by this age LOs have one short and one long nap like you have, but typically it would be a short nap in the morning at 9.30ish and a long nap after lunch, or else a long late morning nap (say 10.30/11) and a late afternoon catnap.  Have you seen the 2-1 FAQs?  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=163278.0

With resettling for naps you can try PUPD but personally I feel it's probably too stressful and stimulating.  If you can get her back off with a quick pat I would go for that, but even so I wouldn't try try much longer than 5-10 mins or so - my experience was that if it hadn't happened in that sort of time frame it probably wouldn't.

She also NEVER sleeps in a pram or car seat so has anyone any suggestions on how to do that
Hate to say it but some kids just aren't 'out and about' sleepers.  You can keep trying and time rides for typical sleep times for her, perhaps try a blackout pram cover or similar?  But it may she just won't be one who will do this and it may be a case of working round her x

Offline paulak412

• Am I nuts or what!!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Is it bedtime yet?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 13:27:57 pm »
Thanks for reply. She now is not need resettling for morning nap she settles herself. She has always had a long morning nap. I know she is still tired at 5 and tried to get her back but no luck. I am keeping her up over 4 hours b4 putting her back down for a morning nap so not sure what to do now x

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 19:31:48 pm »
If you want to keep long morning nap I would try keeping her in bed until as close to ideal as you can even if awake, then regardless of WU start pushing the nap later.  So no earlier than 9.30, then in 2-3 days no earlier than 9.45, then 10 etc etc until you get to something a bit later morning for nap time say 10.30 minimum.  Hopefully after a few days you'll get the crash and later WU to get you on track.

Offline paulak412

• Am I nuts or what!!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Is it bedtime yet?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 20:43:20 pm »
I keep her in bed until 6.30 so I will Def try and do what u say. She went down for a 20 min  this afternoon so will I keep offering the afternoon nap

Offline paulak412

• Am I nuts or what!!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Is it bedtime yet?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 05:51:48 am »
I rocked her (awful I know)  when she woke early just to see if she would go back over and she did do I know it isn't her natural waking time. I'm going to do pu pd with her for a few days at that time to see

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »
If she'll go back with a quick rock then personally I'd go for that to get you out of the early morning loop.  PUPD is pretty stimulating and may well wake her up a bit too much at that time of the morning x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 19:33:41 pm »
Hi, I see over here...

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=286738.0

you have asked for help with an EW now of 5.30 following you pushing the first nap back -how are things now? Has it settled down a bit as she gets used to the longer 1st A time?