Author Topic: Am I offering enough solids?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Am I offering enough solids?
« on: June 01, 2017, 13:10:00 pm »
My LO will be 8 months this weekend.

She gets 5 BF/day (recently dropped dreamfeed)

She eats breakfast (~2tbs cereal with 2tsp fruit 1.5oz BM spoon fed, 3-4 small chunks of cheese self fed, 1-4 pieces of fruit self fed or I help - she does not like gooey fingers)

Lunch (~3-4 pieces of pasta or bread self fed, 2-4 pieces of veggies self fed, 2-3 small chunks of cheese, sometimes some ground meat in form of small meatball, 1.5oz of BM from cup)

Dinner/snack (2-3 pieces of pasta/bread, 1.5oz BM from cup)

We are introducing a variety of carbs, veggies, protein etc. Just basic example.

I never force feed, she chooses most of her finger foods, but I generally only offer small amount of each item. She doesn't yet eat a meal at dinner only a snack so she is part of the meal.

I want to make sure she is drinking enough milk (she feeds for only 5 mins/feed) but I don't know if I should offer more food at her meals? Or more at dinner? She usually opens her mouth for more cereal when it is gone and would probably eat twice as much cheese if I offered.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Am I offering enough solids?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 17:40:48 pm »
If the 5 BF are in addition to the BM from a cup then it will be plenty of milk.  Usually 4 BF in the day would be fine and water offered with meals. If you want to offer additional BF or BM in a cup that's fine too but it's likely all "extra". From what I read about BF LOs this age can be very efficient eaters so a full BF might be done in just the 5 mins.

In terms of solids you can offer until your LO has had enough. Letting LO guide the amount is a good way to know if she is getting enough. They are usually quite good at self regulation and can even manage to select the balance of food groups for themselves too.  When I offered my LO more dairy he took less milk, when I cut back on dairy solids he increased his milk - to him they were both dairy and he knew how much he needed/wanted where as to me I preferred he had the milk until he was a bit older.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 18:05:47 pm »
I usually offer a little bit from each good group and if she finishes something from her plate I may offer a bit more of that item. She does seem to eat a bit of everything.

Should I offer a 3rd meal?

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 18:07:40 pm »
By 8 months we were doing 3 meals.  I offered as much as my LOs wanted as long as it didn't affect their milk intake (though mine were bottle fed so a bit easier to determine if their milk was dropping off).

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 18:56:13 pm »
A third meal is expected at 8 months but you are already offering solids 3 times - you are calling the third a "snack" but some LOs only eat a bit anyway. You can offer a bit more if you like :)  I always let my DS lead the way on portions.

WRT food groups.  LOs don't always like lots of different things on their plate and they don't always eat from all food groups in each meal or even in each day.  When they are this young looking at what they take over a week is probably a better guide as to how the groups are balancing out. So for instance it's fine to have a protein heavy meal if you offered something and your LO just loved it and want more more more.  Then another day or even on several days in that week your LO might refuse all protein, it's ok.  Another day LO might want lots of veggies or lots of carbs - again fine.  Adults are far better at eating a variety of items all in one meal.  LOs often like just 1, 2 or 3 items on their plate but then to eat more of that thing.