Author Topic: Wean 11 week old of paci?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Jbt312

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Wean 11 week old of paci?
« on: June 02, 2017, 16:56:00 pm »
My LO is 11 weeks old and wakes up around 1-3am every night. I give her the pacifier and she will fall back to sleep for about 20 minutes until the pacifier falls out. I pop the pacifier back in and the cycle continues until 7am with her sleeping between 20 - 60 mins until I have to give her the pacifier. We both wake up exhausted.

This is also true for her naps. She will sleep for 20-40 minutes, then wake up needing her pacifier.

She is on the 3 hour schedule and I cluster feed at 6 and 8.

Should I take away the pacifier because it has become a prop?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Wean 11 week old of paci?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 17:53:55 pm »
Hi there, welcome to BW forums :)

I see your LO is waking at 1-3am and then every 20-60 mins until 7am. Sounds exhausting.
I see she eats at 6pm and 8pm for the cluster feeding before BT, what happens after that?
At what times are you giving night feeds?

Offline Jbt312

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 18:01:51 pm »
Thank you for your reply.  :)

It is exhausting. Things have gotten a little better. I actually dropped the DF because she wouldn't take anymore than 2 oz and it seemed to mess with her sleep cycle. Since I made that change, she has been sleeping until 3-4am. If she gets up at 3am, I give her the pacifier. I feed her around 4am. She only eats for 10 mins on one side and will not take anymore. She then sleeps until 5-5:30am and is up in her crib (I usually don't have to give her the pacifier here) and she will fall asleep between 6-6:15am. We then get up at 7am.

I know every child is different, but my first child was sleeping from 8:30-7 at this age. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:39:44 am »
Hi Honey, and what is the reason for giving her paci at 3am ? It has been 7 hours from the last feed and she might be just hungry. It would make you get up to her once instead of twice between 8pm and 5/6am. What happens at 5/6am? She is just happy and then goes back to sleep?

If I am correct you have only one NF at night which is a very good result for that age and definitely I wouldn't push for more. No NF at that age is possible but rare, it may impact her weight gain and your milk supply is you are BF to drop this last BF at night. It's great your first child slept so well but it's rather rare:). From my personal observations around 8/9 weeks there is a peak where many children have the smallest number of NF or bottle per night - but than around 11/12 weeks they start going through GS and usually need more milk at night. It's perfectly normal. Many parents are confused and think that if their child slept until some moment at night, s/he should continue to do so which is not so obvious.

Once again, having only one NF at that age (and presuming her weight gain is still good), she should be able to drop to no NF around 6/7months which would be a great result. I would be happy with the result you have:), and just make sure you both get as much sleep as possible.
~Marta

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 21:51:51 pm »
It is completely normal for baby of this age (and much older) to have a couple of night feeds. I'd say anything less is an exception to the rule. Just because your first baby dropped night feeds at an exceptionally young age doesn't mean this baby is biologically able to go so long overnight without milk.

I'd stop offering the dummy at night and feed her when she wakes up as she's probably just hungry. If a baby naturally sleeps long stretches at night that is great but we'd never recommend witholding feeds from a baby at this age.

Also, night feeds are very important for maintaining supply so actively weaning night feeds at such an early stage can be quite damaging to the future of your breastfeeding relationship.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Jbt312

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 00:14:24 am »
Thank you for all of your replies.  :) I started feeding her when she wakes up around 3:30am instead of giving her the paci like suggested. She only eats for 10 minutes on one side and will not take any more. Do you think she is hungry if she is only taking half a feeding?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:53:03 am »
I'd think a 10 minute feed at 11wks would normally be plenty. Does she normally feed for 20 minutes then? My 3 were all down to 6-8 minute feeds by this age. All babies are different of course but I'd say 10 minutes is a decent feed and yes she does sound hungry. A 2 minute feed would sound more like just sucking to get back to sleep but not 10 minutes IMO.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 11:58:24 am »
Agree with Ali. And mind that after couple of night hours your breast might be fuller and one breast is enough.
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 12:25:41 pm »
I hope you feel more comfortable and confident with your new night time routine.

Offline Jbt312

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 14:18:37 pm »
I am so confused. She woke up at 2am and I offered her my breast but she didn't want it. She started crying and arched her back and turned away. After fighting with her for a little bit, she ate for 5 minutes. She then woke up every hour until 7am.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 21:36:16 pm »
Could it be discomfort?  Could she have an intolerance? Any reflux? Wind?

Offline Jbt312

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 23:45:11 pm »
When she wakes up, she does lift her legs up and drop them hard on the mattress. She doesn't grimace or seem to be in any pain. Do you think that could be wind?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 21:53:12 pm »
It could be.  Do you give her a good burp after the feed before that?