Author Topic: 6 mo started night waking: feed or not to feed ??  (Read 1211 times)

Offline IsabelaTsuji

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 mo started night waking: feed or not to feed ??
« on: June 08, 2017, 23:06:11 pm »
Hi,

I would like to hear from you some suggestion with my 6 mo LO facing new onset night waking, specially because I can not figure out if he is hungry or not.

SInce 7 wk old he was able to sleep all night and to resettle himself even without a paci in the middle of the night.
Last month we faced early waking, and after some help here at the forum it's now resolved.

The new issue is 1 or 2 night waking needing me to resettle him, some times needing breastfeed.

That's how it usually happens: most of times at the same hour (3h), starts murmuring, seconds in silence, sounds go louder, about 10-15 min after it I get up , touch his chest gently but he gets excited , I try to replug his paci and immediately he starts screaming. Sometimes I try PUPD for 10-15 min but I get really stressed, he goes arching backwards (sorry about the English, I'm brazilian).
My husband suggests me to breastfeed him, sometimes I do. 2 days ago I did it and after that he relaxed and slept in the crib (he never sleeps while breastfed or in my arms) accepting the paci. Tonight he woke up at 4:10 am as described refusing paci.. I picked up him and put down, this time he accepted paci and slept until 6:50 am.

Here is our routine:

6:45 am wake up + BF
8:00 am solids (fruits our fresh juice)
9:30 am S ( in the crib, no more then 2 min , with paci )
11:00 wake up
11:30 solids
14:00 pm S
15:30 pm wake up + BF
17 to 18 pm (solids and CN, it has been a mess, I do what I realize he needs)
18:30 pm shower + A
20:30 pm BT easily
- and then the night wakings as I described above.

I would like to have your opinion concerning paci refusal. Is it a sign of hanger ?
Is he a candidate for PUPD until it works ( I read it can take hours) ? I question myself at those moments if in fact he is hanger. Refusing paci with so much anger touchs me.
But how has the need for being breastfed shown up at this stage if we were doing great since 7 wk ? He likes solids, I just don't get it...

Thanks for those reading me. Best regards!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 6 mo started night waking: feed or not to feed ??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:36:50 am »
Hello, so sorry your post has been missed. I shall bump it now for you. xx

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 14:16:52 pm »
Hi :)  Your English is fine so please don't apologise!

I think your LO could well be hungry.  There is a big growth spurt at 6 months and I can only see 2 breastfeeds in your day (plus another at bedtime??) and a lot of solids for a 6 month old.  Most breastfed babies would be on 4-5 feeds as a minimum at 6 months - the problem with offering lots of solids is that they are lower in calories than milk, but fill up tiny tummies so LO can't fit enough milk in to really meet their nutritional needs.  I'm not sure what quantity of solids you are offering but I would reduce a little and ensure you are doing 4 daytime breastfeeds as an absolute minimum, with solids being offered around an hour after a breastfeed.

I would also be quite tempted to start trying to drop the catnap and do an earlier bedtime.  He has a very long day right now (13.5-14h) but you could get it to a 12h day by dropping the second nap.  He may be better rested that way and that also may mean his night sleep is more settled :)

Offline IsabelaTsuji

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 21:08:17 pm »
wooow , I'm here to give you good news  ;), problem solved for now !

For the last 3 nights we didn't have night wakings.
You were perfectly right, he was hungry. I immediately followed your suggestion of breastfeeding him more often including 1h before solids. I also dropped the catnap and he has an earlier bedtime.

Thank you very much.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »
That's great :D