Author Topic: Help with 7wo screamer :(  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Help with 7wo screamer :(
« on: June 17, 2017, 20:23:27 pm »
Hi all,

Firstly please accept my apologies for not being back sooner. Finally moved house and have given birth to this lovely bundle of joy  ::).

Background. He was born at 37+5 days. Delivery fine. But extremely jaundiced. Required two goes of phototherapy and was finally discharged from out patient care at 6 wo. He's EBF so far and doing fine wrt weight gain.

The problem I have is the screaming  :'(. Before every single nap. It's like I'm hurting the more little mite, it's truly heartbreaking and I don't know what to do. I know he's young, but the sleep resistance is becoming an issue for DD now. Understandably she's getting frustrated with it all too.

Any insight would be truly wonderful. He's currently on my chest, falling asleep for 5 mins then waking up screaming. I ssh/rub and hold. And httj. There are many! But I can't put him down as he's too upset  :'(

Easy from the last couple of days. One ok and Today which is more typical. I walk most mornings so he usually gets a nap in the ergo sling, but not today.

Friday:
Wu 6.10
E 6.15 then sick. Up for the day.
A upset from 7.15
S 7.29-7.35. Httj 7.35-8.10
E 8.15
A in car seat. Preschool run. Crying from 9.10
S 9.20-10.40 ergo sling
E 10.55-11.35. Eyes closed first part. Dozing
S 11.55 preschool pick up. Transfer to Moses basket at 12.20, ssh/hold 12.30 every 5 mins until 12.40
S 12.40-1.50
E 1.55 - 2.20
A grumpy at 2.50. Sling outside from 3.05
S 3.20 attempted to put down on chair at 3.35
A 3.37-3.57 crying from 3.55
S 4-5 back in sling. I woke
E 5
A
S 6.30-6.35  :-\
A bath
E 7
S 7.20-10.30
E df 10.30
S until 1.00
E 1.45-2.15
S lots of grunting then2 x poos,wet Sleepsuit. Awake until...
E 3.50 then sick, change cot sheet
S 4.20 on me until 5.20 pd in cot
S 5.30-7.10....

Then we hit today's shenanigans  :o

E 7.10
A attempt for sleep at 8.10 onwards
E 9
S 9.05-9.10 attempt to pd as fell asleep eating. Nope...
E 9.20 carried on. -9.30
S 9.40-11
A
E 12-12.25
A
S 1.05-1.45
A
E 2.40
A
S 3.45-4
A
E 4.35-5
A 5-5.40
S in sling 5.40-6.50 I woke
A bath
E 7 & 7.30 (while doing DD's BT story)
A screaming until
S 8-8.05, then screaming until 8.15. S 5 mins, then woke up screaming until passing out at 8.50, which takes us to now.

It's a mess isn't it? Sorry this post is so jumbled. It's taken ages to type in between crying fits.
Anything anyone could suggest would really help. I have no idea what to do which is shameful considering all the time I had previously spent on here thinking I knew it all  ::). Well, maybe not all, but at least more than what I did with DD  ;D. Turn out I know nothing   :P

Tia xx

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 20:32:29 pm »
Hi Tia, congratulations!!!

Sadly I don't have much advice but just wanted to give hugs and say that I had a screamer, too.  So heartbreaking! I have to say that to this day, he screams when he cries.  :-[
For us it was part reflux, part over stimulation, part spiritedness. In the beginning I tried to do a longer calming, wind down, which then seemed like we were always just eating, then preparing to sleep again.  DS needed slightly longer A times than usual, but of course too much and he would scream. It was so hard. I also think it was his way of releasing his energy.  But again, we made sure to took care of the medical aspect.  Any indication of that- gas, large amounts of spit up, etc???

Offline Kellyjs

Re: Help with 7wo screamer :(
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 20:44:17 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Hun, it's always so good to know others have had the same. He does have a lot of gas, spits up a lot. Definitely worse if fed earlier than 2.5hrs.

Argh I really can't be due a LO has has higher than average A times, DD was like that and took ages to get to the bottom of that thanks to help on here. I thought you could only have one of those haha.

I did mention to the gp and hv about his screaming before and they both suggested a dummy. He's just finding his hands now so I didn't want to interfere with what he wants to do. I do wonder if I would've just given him one, but we didn't use one with DD and I remember all the posts on here about them when I was modding. Maybe I should go back and ask for him to be assessed for reflux? Xx

Offline ginger428

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 20:55:15 pm »
hahaha... bless your heart if you have two exuberant children! great thing that they love life, but if only they would love sleep just as much, eh?  ;)

It wouldn't hurt to get checked for reflux would it? You'll know for sure if the screaming and arching back (another sign for us) stops.

What a coincidence but my DS didn't have a dummy either.  He never really took to it even when we tried.  He preferred his hands once he found them.

We ended up with food sensitivities, too, which is another reason he was so miserable. =( Poor things.

Offline Kellyjs

Re: Help with 7wo screamer :(
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 21:00:21 pm »
Tell me about it! Sleep is for the weak is a common saying in this household! Haha.

I wonder if something in my BM in setting him off. I thought it was going a bit too well with the BF this time. I bet sensitivity might be at play as I do eat a lot of spicy food and what not. Oh happy joy joy, the fun of guessing. I just hope he's not in as much pain as he seems to like screaming about :( xx

Offline ginger428

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 21:29:32 pm »
Blood in the stool was the confirmation we had for food sensitivity.  Another really low period for me... to be on the elimination diet. But hey, he is 3 now and all is well.

Hugs, Tia.  I hope we figure it out soon!