EAT > Feeding Solid Food

Constipation issues and reduced appetite...

<< < (2/3) > >>

creations:

--- Quote from: *Ali* on June 27, 2017, 19:42:18 pm ---replacing them with white versions at least sometimes. This is recommended until 5yo in the UK.
--- End quote ---
A tip if you like to eat brown pasta, you can cook a small portion of white pasta in with your own brown pasta which greatly reduces the number of pots on the stove and amount of extra work involved to provide LO with a slightly different meal. We eat white pasta but my DS was highly frustrated by spaghetti even though he had happily eaten it a couple of times, basically he couldn't get the food in his mouth fast enough and found it an ordeal to eat. For a while I dropped a handful of pasta twists into the pot with our spag and then just fished them out when I drained. Worked a treat.  I know some pastas have a slightly different cooking time but it always worked out fine for DS. I did this until the day he got upset that he wasn't served exactly the same as mummy and daddy.  Kids eh?

With bread, crumpets, pita breads, chapati etc you could perhaps by a white version and freeze it so that you can lift out one portion for LO and the main meal is the same but LO gets the white version until older.

WRT constipation. I found I could naturally control my DS's poo with prunes and carrots. If he was a bit too firm I gave him a ready to eat, pitted, prune or two as part of his meal (he loved them and would just eat them straight like that) and in addition I avoided serving carrots for a day or two. If he was a little too loose I served carrots (and  no prunes) which firmed things up.  I am sure other people use other foods in a similar way, it's great if you can discover a couple of foods like this which you LO likes.

LaraAndrea:
Is quinoa and barely ok?

Here I am trying to feed my baby the healthy thing that we eat and all the while I am hurting her tummy :(

I have been using pear as her laxative food. As long as she eats it, she dies ok :)

creations:
Quinoa is a seed so IMO that is fine, not a whole grain
barley I'm not sure, it would depend on if its hull was removed or not. Pearl barley has the hull removed and is then "polished" to make like a pearl as far as I know. Perhaps Ali knows more about this.

--- Quote from: LaraAndrea on June 28, 2017, 12:01:44 pm ---Here I am trying to feed my baby the healthy thing that we eat and all the while I am hurting her tummy :(
--- End quote ---
Don't beat yourself up about it - no one needs additional guilt it's hard enough parenting as it is. We all try to do the best for our LOs with the information we have available at the time.
hugs

LaraAndrea:
Does the food throwing phase end? She used to eat her food. Now she eats almost nothing, but throws a lot.

creations:
Try serving a very small amount in one go, like one or two pieces, keep the rest on a plate out of her reach and only serve another piece if the first 1-2 are eaten. You can try to gently catch her before she manages to throw if you are very alert and quick. I used to shove a bowl under DS's drops and say "tidy up" then "thank you" after it fell in. He learned to tidy up all his bits of food this way rather than throwing or dropping them to the floor.
If it's more than a brief phase you can just interpret it that she has finished, say something like "you've finished" and remove her form the high chair, meal time over until next meal.
I think dropping often increases when appetite drops due to teething.
It can also become a game so I would avoid picking anything up until meal time is over and she is out of sight.  You can also offer some dropping or throwing games in activity time which should help to fulfil the desire to learn about gravity :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version