Author Topic: Feeling desperate....2.5 year old routine mess  (Read 1491 times)

Offline mummylou83

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Feeling desperate....2.5 year old routine mess
« on: July 05, 2017, 19:38:39 pm »
Hi all
I've received such invaluable advice before I'm hoping you can save the day again?! Thanks in advance for anyone who is reading this!

Our nearly 2.5 year old dropped her nap to about 1 hour a day a few months ago and was generally sleeping 11-12 hours at night. A month ago she started to seriously play up at naptime and wake up at 530am wanting to start the day so I thought it was time to start dropping the nap (3rd child thought I knew the signs?!)

The last month has been so mixed...at first she seemEd to cope without the nap in the day and went to sleep quickly but still woke early...I hoped she was just getting used to it. Then we had that big heat wave and she started napping in the day  (in car or on sofa) as was struggling to get to sleep in the evening. Now she wakes loads at night, messes around at bedtime and is waking early :'( I'd say she is napping 4 out of 5 days for around an hour each time but when in car.

I'm totally shattered as have 2 other children  and feeling like a rubbish Mum as I'm tired and ratty with everyone and struggling to get everything done.

Any ideas of how to get back on track?! Previously we were
WU 645/7
Nap 1-2
BT 7

I'm willing to try anything!! Thank you so much xx

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Feeling desperate....2.5 year old routine mess
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:16:53 pm »
I am going through something similar, you can have a look my post. Our main problem is night waking. Almost 4 out of 7 nights. I am wondering if it could be the 2.5 yr SR? Sorry no advice for you but only a hug.  :-[ :P Hope someone could help us! And welcome to my post to discuss.

Offline mummylou83

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 13:15:39 pm »
Ah thanks for your reply! Hugs to you also!! It really sucks :-( I don't remember a 2.5 year sleep regression with my other 2 so will have a read up about that and read your post too....here's hoping someone has been through this and has some advice about how to handle it :-)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 18:36:36 pm »
Hi there. I think I'd suggest reducing the nap, say start at 1.15 instead of 1.00 and then still end it the same time, so 2pm.
After a few days if no improvement then reduce it again 1.30 - 2.00 and see how it goes for a good week or more, it takes time to settle down.
The slightly later nap should help with less resistance at nap time and the shorter nap should help with the resistance at BT so hopefully you will see something a bit better to manage even if not perfect.  Dropping naps is rarely smooth though.

...and give yourself a break, 3 kids to look after is not easy work. Take a break whenever you can, put a few things on hold for now, once the routine is more settled again you'll catch up :)

Offline mummylou83

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 19:13:08 pm »
Thank you Creations for your reply  :) ;D I really appreciate it!

At the moment naps are in the car to get her to fall asleep then I transfer her to sofa where I sit with her...so should be fairly easy to cap it. Today we had a friend round so she actually slept 145 until 245...

She was back to angel girl this afternoon and went down without any fuss at bedtime at 645  :o :o I was shocked! First time in weeks she's not played up!! So I'll see what happens tonight and in the morning! Maybe she knew I was at the end of my tether  ;)

Will keep you posted and thanks again for you advice and kind words x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 15:22:37 pm »
Maybe she knew I was at the end of my tether
Ha ha, maybe she did!
...or she could have been very tired from the additional stimulation of having a visitor.

Offline mummylou83

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:09:36 am »
Hi just to update!
Things have got a lot better...she is going down without all the messing and crazy requests. We had one really bad night earlier in the week when I had to sit in her door for quite a long time twice in the night. But other than that things are improving.

She naps 80% of the time...on the days she does she wakes at 6am and I can resettle her until her sun comes up on her clock at 7am. When she hasn't napped she wakes at 5am...so napping definitely better! She naps for 45-60 mins.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Hope things are improving for you too sszskristy x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 07:49:40 am »
Lovely update. Thanks for taking the time to share your good news :)