Author Topic: Baby has become a swaddle buster  (Read 1320 times)

Offline maybell245

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 10, 2017, 18:46:19 pm »
Hello,
I haven't posted in awhile because things have been going well!  DD is now 14 weeks and had been doing well on the 3 hour EASY and sleeping through many nights, with 1 night waking others.

The last 1.5 weeks, DD has busted her arms out of her swaddle during every nap and through the night.  She tends to do it in 40 minute intervals (sleep cycle change?).  Once her arm or arms are out she doesn't go back to sleep.  She will suck on her fists, talk loudly, fuss and eventually cry.  If we let her go long enough during the night waking she eventually starts the hungry cry and we have to feed her.  So we went from 0 or 1 night waking to many.  During naps, reswaddling and shush pat usually works to get her back to sleep, but then she doesn't seem as rested with the interruptions.  At night, if often doesn't works and ends up in hungry cry and feeding.

We have tried leaving one arm out and both out.  She can't settle and seems to still have the startle reflex so we think she needs to be swaddled still.

We use the Swaddle-Me's with velcro.  We tried the next size up to give her lower body more room, but then the top doesn't get tight enough and she just doesn't go to sleep or only sleeps 15 minutes because her arms are right out.

I was going to start to slowly move to the 4 hour EASY but worry about too many changes or issues at once now.

Any advice or probing questions to help me problem solve would be much appreciated!

I apologize for typos, doing this on my phone in the dr. Waiting room.  Found a tick in my 4 year old this morning  :(

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Baby has become a swaddle buster
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:22:13 pm »
Bump - no experience with swaddles I'm afraid but hope someone can chime in and help you!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Baby has become a swaddle buster
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 17:05:44 pm »
My oldest had a huge startle reflex and I used to swaddle in a blanket and then use the swaddle me over it.  The swaddle me helped keep the blanket in place.  Of course you have to make sure your LO won't get overheated with the double wrapping but it was about the only thing that worked for us until she found her thumb and didn't need the swaddle!