Author Topic: Used to be independent sleeper, now not at all  (Read 1311 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
Used to be independent sleeper, now not at all
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:45 am »
My 4 month old girl has been an independant sleeper pretty much from day one. She's slept great, fell asleep easy for naps and bedtime, by 4 weeks old was waking twice a night for a feed but otherwise sleeping around 12-13 hours a night before I would even have to wake her. She would have 1-1.5 hour naps. Then she started becoming a bit more difficult to settle, she needed to cry a little for about a min or two before she just put herself to sleep, I even stayed in the room and watched her do it a few times so I knew she was just crying to get it out before falling asleep. Now however she won't stop crying when I put her to bed, she needs me to pat her every single time. She still sleeps around 12-13 hours at night, sometimes she will wake for a feed, sometimes not. Her naps are 40-45 mins long
But as for falling asleep she just won't do it on her own anymore. Her A time is 2 hours, sometimes 2hrs 10mins. She short naps in the morning for half an hour because we have the school run and she's won't sleep any more than that in the car so I try to adjust her A times accordingly but it's still a fight to get her down.

How do I get my independant sleeper back? And preferable the longer naps (I'm not too fussed on those as I understand that's just not always possible esp with 3 other kids to run around after)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Used to be independent sleeper, now not at all
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 12:25:30 pm »
She's such a good night sleeper do you think she could need a bit more A time?  My DD used to protest like nothing on earth if she was UT going down....how long has she had 2h A time for? 

It could also be 'just' regression (common at this age) and may pass without having to do much at all - but perhaps you could try gently weaning the patting using slower pats or lighter touch, or stopping a little sooner?