Author Topic: 10 month old short naps & standing in crib  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Pearceuccs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old short naps & standing in crib
« on: July 11, 2017, 21:43:10 pm »
My baby is 9.5 months old and recently sleeping through the night but seems to be having short naps. Is there anything I should fix or just be greatful he's sleeping well at night?

530-6 wakes up on own
E 6 Breastfeed
      Solids
A 3.5 hours & Breastfeed before nap
S 40min-1 hr 10min
A
E 11 breastfeeding
   Solids
A Total 4-415 hrs
   Breastfeeding before nap
S around 2ish for 40 mins-1hr
A 3.15ish hours (seems to get OT easily before bedtime)
  Breastfeed
  Solids
S breastfeed at bedtime goal of 7 but lately we can really only make it to 630 (which is making him probably start waking up at 530)

Naps are averaging total of 2 hrs a day with nighttime sleeping average 10.5-11 hrs straight. It just seems hard to schedule at 13-13.5 hr a day with short naps.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:30:13 am by Pearceuccs »

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 9.5 month old short naps
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:13:45 am »
You may benefit from pushing the AM AT. Your LO may give you a longer nap and you may be able to shorten the AT before bed.

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:29:00 am »
He learned how to pull himself up in his crib while I was working on his schedule. He now  has stopped going to sleep on his own with GW method and I'm back to holding him for naps and sleep. The problem is he is standing in his crib and bangs his face on the bars when he slips and his head on the crib frequently. I have tried to brace him while he stands and encourage him to lay down but it's hard to prevent all the falling he is doing so.. Which is why I've been holding for naps for now until he is more steady. It's going on for 10 days or so. And now for the past week his first nap of 1.10 is now only 25-45 min long. I tried shortening the first awake time (3 hr) in thinking maybe he was OT. But I'm going to lengthen his awake time to 4 hours tomorrow in the AM.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:32:28 am by Pearceuccs »

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 10 month old short naps & standing in crib
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:23 pm »
I kept him up 4 hours in the morning and he slept for 1 hour. Then another 3 hr 45 min and slept for 30 min for nap two. Do I push his morning nap again or wait for a few days? He slept finally 11 hours last night without help from us (cried for a few minutes at midnight but fell back asleep).

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 15:42:49 pm »
If you already made an AT increase try waiting a couple days to see if their is any improvement. You may have to push AT again.

My LO is on the lower sleep need spectrum (she is 10 months), she does 5:30AT in am and gives me a 2h nap. She doesn't always give me a 2nd nap, but when she does it is only 15-25 min and that is after 3-3:30AT with some APOP. I don't think she is typical, but the range in babies can be so vast.

When my LO first started standing in crib I spent 2 days teaching her to lower herself safely. She became very good at it quickly. She will still stand in her crib and play if she is UT or EW but she doesn't fall and hurt herself anymore.

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 17:29:56 pm »
I'm at about 4hr 20 min AT and he's still doing a 1 hr nap. . Then he takes a 1 hr nap at 3pm. I will keep pushing slowly. Is this the right move vs keeping a shorter AT in the morning for an hour nap and then hoping for a longer afternoon nap? I guess not since he likes a shorter AT before bed. I will keep pushing back. He seems very tired but it's hard getting him to nap longer than 1 hr consistently .
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 17:54:40 pm by Pearceuccs »

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 18:14:31 pm »
I have heard of other babies around same age that naturally are more comfortable with 2 1h naps. 2-3h of total daytime sleep is not unusual for babies of that age.

You may have to keep pushing AT every few days to get a long  1.5-2h nap

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 05:48:42 am »
I stopped pushing AT cause I only ever got 1 hour naps. I went back on my original sechede and got the same amount of nap lengths

Today:
Wake up 522 (goal of 6)
A 3 hr
S 1 hour (at 822-922)
A 3hr15
S 1 hour (1243-143)
   30 min more (rock backed to sleep because I was nervous of an too early bedtime)
   Woke up at 230 when failed attempt to put back in crib
A 3hr15
S bedtime at 545
   NW at 7
   NW at 11

He goes to sleep so fast each time (BF to sleep). When I tried pushing his morning or afternoon AT by 15  he only sleeps 30 min for those naps.. so OT? That's why I'm hesitant to keep pushing out is AT to 4hr30+ 

He does seem like he's been getting his molars as well.

Sorry I feel like I've back tracked. I'm just confused on what to do anymore.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:09:11 am by Pearceuccs »

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 15:07:55 pm »
Teething can really put a wrench in babies sleep, makes it harder to figure out the right move.

When your LO was doing consistent 1h naps x 2 were you having night wakes?

Keep an eye out for signs of 2-1 nap transition. It is a long transition but can start showing signs ~10 months.

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 03:14:01 am »
Well I did the training again.. independent sleep using the shuffle methods. He's slept through the night the past 3 nights!! It really is the key. Had to remind him that he can do it on his own. We are still in the rubbing the back phase. It was hard to get outta that habit the last time. If he keeps sleeping good maybe we don't HAVE TO break the habit. If all needs Is a little back rubbing and sleeps all night, I'll take it.

Yesterday
Wu at 615
A 3hr15
S 2 hours!!
A 330
S 1 hour (till 415pm)
A 3hr45 ( tried to get him to go to bed at 7.. didn't fall asleep till 8
Sttn 10 hr 30 min ( seems to be his normal now unfortunately) minus him up from 515-530 but went back to sleep on own and it might have been because of me shutting his door

Today
Late wake up at 7 (usually it's 6... prob because of late BT
A 3hr50 (longer AT today because he had a hard time falling asleep and took an hour and finally feel asleep closer to 3hr50 AT- I tried putting him in his crib closer to 3hours and obviously to short even though it worked yesterday)
S 1hr20 (woke up at an hour and went back to sleep for another 20)
A 3 hr (short AT  because it was already 315pm and I was worried about BT)
S 38 min (I woke to persevere BT)
A 3
S BT 7pm
We will see how the night goes tonight

Seems like I should never let him sleep past 4pm.

Thanks!

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:15 am »
I am so glad you are seeing progress.

You might find now with the good nights that he needs longer AT during the day and eventually less daytime sleep. But can observe and see.

Before my LO started the 2-1 transition I could never let her sleep past 430 (730 BT), but once we started to transition that all changed.

Once your routine settles some keep an eye out for signs of transition. That was/is the next big challenge for us.

It is amazing how much better everything feels/seems when we all get a good night's sleep :)

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 05:39:30 am »
So he is doing pretty good and sleeping through the night. Morning wake up time has gotten more stable with me pushing out his morning nap like advised.

Wake up 6am/615
A 3hr45min
S 1hr10
A 3-3.5 hr
S set nap at 230 pm (he goes down easy no matter the awake time)
    Sleeps for usually 1hr (sometimes 1hr15)
A 3-330
S bedtime 7pm

I have tried longer awake times in the morning but still really get to a max 1hr10 and thinking that must just be his sleep cycle length since it's so consistent. I think he will probably have to have really long awake time to get to a long 2 hr nap. And I don't think it's worth it to do if he sttn and having two decent naps that he goes down for easily. I think a lot of my original problems were fixed after we sleep trained a tiny bit. He goes in his bed drowsy and falls asleep with some back rubbing. Not perfect but the other way takes an hour for him to do it all by himself. And it seems to be working. I probably won't get that longer nap until he's on one nap a day. Sometimes he does a 2 hour nap randomly and it's glorious.

The second awake time is short but I want to give him the opportunity to sleep however long he wants and he goes down and sleeps for 1hr-1hr20 so I keep doing that. That's why it's a set naptime because the awake time is short so I am most concerned about not letting him sleep past 4pm.

I wanted to keep push the morning AT to get a longer  nap BUT 1. He seems really tired and falls asleep while breastfeeding and I have to try to keep him up so he goes to sleep "more" independently. So he is tired at this time. 2. It's working what we have now after we made the morning awake time longer to stop EW.  And he's STTN. So probably shouldn't change it until I run into problems again right? Then I can start the move to 2-1.

What do you think?

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 10:26:08 am »
I think it is great!
If you and baby are happy that is what we aim for.

If you start to notice either nap get shorter or longer times to settle for nap, that may be an indication to increase AT. In the meantime time leave well enough alone.

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 12:41:36 pm »
Some changes. We were getting NW so a made some tweaks. He now goes down first the first nap completely independently (with me sitting in a chair) because I was hoping it would help with his NW. It did for like a week and also helped him sleep longer but again we are getting NW and or EW. Then two days this week he nap refused his 2nd nap. Once after a 2.5 hr am nap. Then the next day after a 1hr 20 min nap. He needs really long AT to calm down enough and go to sleep in independently so we have to APOP for 2nd nap and at bedtime. 

Goal 6 am
A 4 hr
S 1hr20 to 1hr 40
A 3.5
S 30 min because of longer am naps
A 3 hr 15 +
S at 7pm

He was STTN in the beginning of the week but not anymore. Mostly 1+ NW and today an EW of 515

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 14:08:38 pm »
Might be showing the early signs of the 2-1 transition.

I tried to APOP the 2nd nap (15-30min) for as long as she would let me. This helped to prevent the inevitable BT OT that comes with this transition.

Usually EW and often NW too can he attributed to OT at BT.

You actually may want to push that AM AT over time to try and get that first nap closer and closer to mid day and hope for ~2h nap and APOP a short 2nd nap until baby is actually ready for only 1 nap (which can take some time)

I wouldn't worry too much if that 2nd cat nap ends up happening much later in afternoon due to the push. You may just need a short snooze to make it to BT.