Author Topic: 2yr old routine? Tons of BT resistance!  (Read 5198 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 2yr old routine? Tons of BT resistance!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 17:56:06 pm »
Overall sleep in 24hrs was probably around the same for us at that age tbh. Mine had a 2hr nap and nights were about 10hr. During the 6 months from 2yo to 2.5yo his nights shortened enough for me to try capping the nap and try no nap days to try to get better nights as I felt it just wasn't right to have such a short night and surely not fully restorative. What I discovered about my DS though was that the split of sleep with a good nap and short night kept him better rested and happier mood than a shorter nap and wishful thinking on the night.
I would think that most people would suggest capping the nap, max 2hr or maybe move to less in small increments to see if nights improve.  Obviously this didn't work for us, but it works for many.

sorry this is such a hard time for you, it really will pass, these things do, they are awful when you are in them but they do pass.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 18:23:33 pm »
Yea it's hard bc he's such a grump when I wake him from a nap.

I could try capping at 2 hrs just to try to keep things as consistent as possible. Also he wakes happy after a short night but also gets touchy and aggressive as the morning goes on. Today he fought his usual nap time by 30 minutes so he was already OT by then. Usually he drops off right away right at the 6 hour mark but because of the short night he was way wired lol

So I guess my question is should I move his nap earlier to help curb OT or should I just be consistent and hope these teeth come out and his regression goes away soon? He is saying two-three word sentences and saying new words so I definitely see how it can be developmental.

Right now I'm trying to stay at:

WU 7
S 1-3 (sometimes 2:30-2:45 pm)
BT 8

Not happening though since he's making up his lost sleep in massive naps (today was 2.75!) then fights bedtime and goes to sleep way later (tonight was 10 pm so that was a 15 hour day 😳)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:17:54 am by JennVanessa1083 »
Jennifer xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:20 pm »
Yea it's hard bc he's such a grump when I wake him from a nap.
Many people say this but also report that with a quiet time immediately after capping, staying in the room for LO to come around - or offering a drink or snack or reading a book etc that their LO recovers relatively quickly. I think on the whole those people who find something that works to reduce the post-capped-nap-grump do find the shorter nap helps get the night longer again.
Flip side, I mention my DS, his grump and bad mood was just awful, it continued the entire afternoon and he did not recover until 1hr before BT and by then the day was over and BT routine was starting.  I just couldn't keep doing it, it was horrible.

I'd stick with your routine as much as you can for now. It does sound like teeth and developmental doesn't it?  I would hope the worst of it will pass and you'll find yourself back to almost where you were.  The problem with long naps really is the late BTs, 10pm is pretty shocking isn't it. I only had one or two nights like that which were the really bad teeth nights when I ended up bringing DS back downstairs due to the level of hysteria (and yes I put kids TV on! anything to distract him and stop that screaming!).

Sorry it's so hard x

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 19:39:23 pm »
Lol listen no judgment here! We do what we have to do as mamas!

Ok I can start capping the nap because I definitely prefer the longer nights then these insane days. Hopefully he can handle the capping. We got one molar through! But looks like another one is starting to make an appearance.
Jennifer xx