Author Topic: Nightwakings & allergies - 8mo  (Read 1411 times)

Offline KatyBee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 16, 2017, 11:04:10 am »
Since the 4mo sleep regression my daughter has woken quite frequently (1-3 hours) to breastfeed at night... (prior to this she would do a 6-7 hour stretch)

She is now 8mo and has been diagnosed with numerous food allergies, which definitely affect her sleep (wind, tummy aches, constipation  etc) I have cut lots of food from my diet but she still gets symptoms fairly frequently. We share a bed, so as a rule I can feed her easily without being too disturbed  & get us back to sleep no problem, so I haven't minded the frequent waking too much.

I realise we are now in 8mo sleep regression territory (was a bad one for my son!) and I'm curious as to whether we just carry on as we are, as her allergies are likely to be playing a big role in the disturbances... or whether there is something I'm missing which would help her to sleep better?

I have been trying to implement the 3-2 transition for a few weeks now, but apart from a few occasions, nights after 2 naps have been worse than nights after 3 naps... and the 3 nap days have often been dictated by the nursery run, so there was no escaping that - but with the school holidays approaching I guess I can push forward.

A nursery day EASY is

W/u 6:30
Nap: 9-10
Nap: 1-1:45
Nap; 3:15-4
Bt; 7

Then nw's are at approx 10, 1, 4

But this was our 2 nap EASY yesterday and last night was the worst night we've had in a long time:

W/u 7:20
nap: 10:10-12:10 (she seem to do better with shorter naps - 2hr often causes issues at night)
Nap: 3:15-3:45
Bt bf: 6:30
Asleep: 7pm

We then had a nw at 8ish and she was then awake half the night from midnight getting very upset if she couldn't stay attached to me, which is very unlike her!

She falls asleep independently majority of the time... I rarely feed near sleep time... at bedtime she'll feed and then I unlatch her whilst awake and I sing quietly as she drifts off. Usually when I do this she'll do a 3 hour stretch, but if she's OT  she will often wake at 45m-1h. She is always attached to me from approx 4-5am but goes back to sleep after this.

I'm wondering how often a previously reasonable sleeper can go back to longer stretches after the dreaded 4mo sleep regression? Does it happen?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:12:06 am by KatyBee »

Offline KatyBee

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 19:30:49 pm »
Tried for another 2 nap day today;

W/u 7:20
Nap: 10:30 - 12:15
Nap: 3:30 - 4 (tried from 3ish and she wouldn't resettle once awake)
Bt bf; 6:15
Asleep; 6:30

Nw: 7:15 .... she was pretty inconsolable, OT I presume?

Eta - no, she's in a very fractious sleep and keeps crying out in discomfort - so this is tummy pain related I think. She is tossing & turning and can't settle :'( poor little thing. So hard to know what to do about sleep when something like this is involved. It's going to be another rough night I think.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 21:37:28 pm by KatyBee »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Nightwakings & allergies - 8mo
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:32:40 am »
Hi - sorry no help with the EASY but Olly had multiple allergies and TBH until he was well over a year old it was just managing to get through each day and night as best we could! For us the night were especially bad but we did eventually get a much better routine the less naps we had lol! Hand on in there and just do what is best for you all to keep you sane and happy xxx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:39:49 am »
Do you think there's anything else going on as well -- teeth perhaps?  It looks to me that she's not really pushing past that first sleep cycle -- which would seem like she's either not tired enough to sleep through it or that she's experiencing discomfort that is keeping her from sleeping.  Is she woke awake after the shorter naps or able to fall asleep again?  Part of me thinks you should push on with the longer A times but if you're really thinking she's experiencing discomfort than that could be your issue.  Fwiw, my youngest always struggled with naps until we finally went down to one nap. 

Offline KatyBee

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 20:25:42 pm »
Thank you!

I have tried 2 nap days the last 2 days and bedtime has been an unmitigated disaster both days!

Yesterday her afternoon nap was really short so I aimed for early bedtime & it took me 1hr 40 mins and LOTS of tears - it was awful.

This was today;

W/u 6:15
Nap: 9-10:30
Nap: 1:55-2:30 (wouldn't resettle)
Bt bf: 5:30
Asleep: 6:10

But then she woke after just 5 mins and was wide awake until 7:15... then woke at 7:45 crying until 8:15.... she just cried out again, but resettled herself. She seemed incredibly overtired.

Feels like sleep regression territory too and it like learning to crawl might be playing a part as she keeps ending up on all fours or say bolt upright (she did it throughout the night last night)

I have no idea about teeth - no other signs of that to be honest. But think I might aim for a 3rd catnap to see if that's the key to easier bedtimes.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 21:13:50 pm »
Oh goodness, sounds like so much developmental stuff all at once!  I think I would aim for getting that first nap a bit longer with the longer A time before and then maybe 2 cat naps after that with the aim of eventually getting rid of the second?