Author Topic: Weaning from bottle and formula to cup with milk  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Weaning from bottle and formula to cup with milk
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 13:16:25 pm »
Some do loose interest some don't.

You need to decide what you want to do and stick to it. If you don't want him to have it anymore then don't give in when he cries, distract him offer other choices,  empathise with him and offer cuddles but move the morning along. If you are happy to carry on letting him have a bottle for the time being and re-assess in a couple of months then just let him have it and don't get into a situation where he has to cry for it, keep the routine as he expects. It's not really fair to keep changing things on him if you aren't carrying it through IYSWIM!

You are his mum, you know what is best for him - Drs can offer opinions based on what they know but it's you choice what to do about it. At the end of they day I really don't think there is any harm in giving the bottle for a while longer providing he drinks from it quickly and it's put away and teeth are cleaned after the last bottle/ food before bedtime.

Laura

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 02:54:21 am »
I think you are right. I'm going to continue for a bit :)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 03:38:20 am »
So it seems been two weeks since we've stopped the morning bottle!! It wasn't easy but used distraction to get through it. Still taking the night bottle which the pediatrician says we should wean too. He drinks great from his sippy all day but won't  take milk in it which is going to make the transition at night tough. If I hand him a cup of milk before bed he's going to scream and throw it and get all worked up before bed which is why I'm hesitant. He's not interested in books so I'm wondering how I can change up his bedtime routine to exclude the bottle. As of now we do bath and pjs and sit in the chair in room with only nightlight and lullaby music and he drinks his bottle. Yikes. What can I do to change it up? My older son switched no problem to drinking milk in his cup while in my lap and read a book then into crib. This is so hard

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 10:28:09 am »
It took a week to do a slow wean at BT on my DS's bottle. I also felt it was a big part of our BT WD routine and was worried about changing it but it was so smooth.  Milk in a cup or with a straw earlier on with a solids snack, before bath time, then the normal BT routine but with the milk in the bottle reduced by 1oz.  I took a bottle of water with me in case he drained the milk but this never happened.
Each day reduce by 1oz but also look to see how much is taken, if less is taken than you offer then the next day you only offer that amount, the 1oz less again.  In the end we did the usual routine but instead of sitting with a bottle of milk he had a quick sip of water (or as much as he wanted but it was never much as he'd had his milk and supper earlier on) followed by song and cuddles.
You can still sit and cuddle with the music for the usual amount of time so there doesn't need to be any loss of bonding time.
I found mine quite soon wanted to get into bed quicker.

I didn't do books at BT until mine was about 5yo or something. Not all kids like books at BT. Mine does love books, always has, but BT was not the time for them until he was much older - way too stimulating when what he wanted was clam and sleep.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 01:10:03 am »
Just wanted to report back that he's been off the morning bottle for a few weeks now and what worked best was just distraction and feeding breakfast right away. I'd offer the milk in the cup with breakfast but he's not interested. But I wanted to mention whoever said that by 15 months it gets tricky to wean was right!!! Now he looks for his bottle when we come into his room and picks it up and starts drinking it! He's a good baby eats and sleeps well so to be honest I'm just going with the flow for now and brushing teeth afterwards.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 07:33:03 am »
It's good to hear you've worked out what you're happy with.
Just a note on teeth brushing (which not everyone knows), ideally it should be 30 mins after food/milk/drinks. This is because the teeth come under attack during the food/milk and it softens the enamel.  If you brush during that time the enamel can be damaged by the brushing.