Author Topic: Sleep gone wrong...HELP!!!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Mononoke

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 24, 2017, 18:25:48 pm »
I'm at a loss and beyond exhausted. I don't know what to do. Sleep has gone downhill for the last month (I think the longest stretch of sleep I've had has been 3hrs!). My 13 month old baby started cutting 5 teeth (4 molars and one bottom lateral incisor) all one after the other and started to roll and sit up, on her own from the lying down position, in the crib (I know she is late for those things and she is also not weight bearing on her legs because she is hypermobile) and if things weren't complicated enough separation anxiety is also at a all time high. She started waking a lot due to teething and usually the only thing that would calm her was nursing (before I could do pu/pd and she would go back to sleep). So now as you may have guessed she keeps waking and wanting to be nursed (signs and says milk over and over). I was down to 1-2 nursing session a night and now she is asking to be nursed 4-9 times a night. But even before we can get to the wakings I have a little monkey who keeps sitting up (she knows how to get back down on her own so that's not the problem) and when I do pu/pd she just sits up and/or asks for milk. Overall I know and understand that she is going through a lot but how do I get her to go to sleep and stay asleep? I'm exhausted and instead of it taking her 5-15min to go to sleep it's now taking 1.5-2.5hrs! I have also never been able to leave the room till she is asleep  (I would just sit in her room and close my eyes and then she would fall asleep). I'm guessing I'm going to have to retrain all over again but how/what do I do? I never had this sitting up problem and the "offical" asking for milk.
Here is what our routine looks like (or at least it did before sleep went out the window):

7am wake up
715 am nurse
730/800 breakfast
930/1000 nurse 
1130 lunch
1230 Nap (she has been on 1 nap for 3/4 months now so that's not new)
200/230 wake
230/300 nurse
500 dinner
645 bedtime routine starts (reading, brush teeth, bath, pj's, nurse, bed)
715/730 asleep
1230/130 nurse
400/500 nurse  (this one might not happen if she nursed a little late) 

Thanks for your help!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Sleep gone wrong...HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 18:06:42 pm »
Hi
I've asked for you thread to be moved over to toddler sleep board as she is over 1 year old now :)

This post will also give you a bump, hopefully you will get some replies soon.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 20:54:40 pm »
Are things still the same as when you posted?

If you think she's teething have you been giving pain meds?

How do you feel about the night feeds?  Are you ready to completely drop them all?

I'm also wondering if she's low sleep needs since she moved to one nap so early.  Does she seem like she's tired for bedtime?

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mononoke

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 19:33:15 pm »
Things are not as bad but they are still not great, especially when going to sleep. She turns into this acrobatic ninja and rolls and sits up in her crib. Last night it took me 1.5hrs till she went to sleep (nap time took 1hr). She almost falls asleep and then all of a sudden she will wake up and need to do the whole rolling/sitting routine again (how I finally got her to stop last night was to say "that's enough" each time she was about to roll. She would then roll back to her back and settle for a bit - not sure if that will work again today...). I tried leaving the room but she instantly gets really upset and starts to cry. I'm not sure how to get her to fall asleep without me in the room (which is even more complicated since it taking her so long to stop the rolling/sitting and just go to sleep).
I don't mind nursing her once a night if she is hungry but I don't want her to rely on it to go back to sleep.

I do give her Tylenol when she seems to be in a lot of pain due to her teeth.

She does not seem overly tired at bedtime. I tried putting her to bed later, since it was taking her so long to fall asleep. However it still took her 1.5-2hrs to fall asleep so, I scratched that idea and went back to her old bedtime.
When she was on two naps, her morning one was always very short (30-45min) and we decided to try dropping it early because she started to really fight against it and then it would only be about 20min.

Do you have any ideas as to what to do?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 21:32:48 pm »
Ok so really the two option at this age are gradual withdrawal or walk in walk out. Have a read of this faq and see which you think would suit you best.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.0

Also, is the room blacked out?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011