Author Topic: 5 week old routine - I think I wrong  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Daniela Stambazzi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 19, 2017, 13:16:22 pm »
Hello,
as suggested i make a new post.

My name is Daniela and I'm writing from Italy. We don't have forum for bottle feeding since is not socially accepted (we have only breast feeding consulting)..and I need your help.
I have a 5 week old baby who is on a 3 hour routine.
We have removed 1am feeding 4 nights ago, so now he eats more beacuse we passed from 8 to 7 suck
 and it's not easy for him, sometime it seems too much for him since he brings up.
At the same time I would like to remove night feeding, and I can't increase formula quantity.
I have a feeding diary and I think I gave him too much formula because before remove 1am and 5am suck he was used to take 700 ml, with 3 hour routine and wake up 3 am he took 870 ml..with stomachache

Since I have noted he can stay 4 hour without feeding ..can I not wake up him to feed during the day and pass to a 4 hour routine?
Many thanks,
Daniela

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 5 week old routine - I think I wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 14:05:27 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW!  At 5 weeks he is still so tiny, I would not be removing any night feeds at all.  At this age it is perfectly normal for him to be feeding every 3hrs around the clock.  If he wakes from hunger at 1am please feed him - as you said him taking 700+mls at the next feed is probably too much and likely causing more issues (tummy trouble and throwing up from taking too much) than had you just fed him at 1am.  Many babies need a NF until they are well established on solids around 8 months.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5 week old routine - I think I wrong
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 21:54:31 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW :)

I just wanted to add to what has already been said. Sometimes babies go a bit longer between feeds overnight but it doesn't mean they can do this in the day time.  Like Lindsay said feeding every 3hrs is needed and normal day and night. if you see your LO goes 4hrs for one stretch at night that is okay but the next stretch is probably 3hrs again and that is expected.
We expect LOs to feed every 3hrs (or more often during the evening before bed time) until 4 months or older.  Some are ready to move to 4hrs feeding at 4 months and some are not ready until they are 6 months or maybe even older than that.

Offline Daniela Stambazzi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:45:08 am »
many thanks!!!
My first daughter started to sleep all night long (6 hours) at 1 month and half, and tracy hogg said in her book that at 6/7 week babies can sleep 5/6 hours per night but maybe it's not for all baby, and the youngest is clearly different from oldest one :)
So many thanks for your replies :)