Author Topic: 12mo baby eating too much?!?!?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline SaraMamma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:15:13 am »
Hi ladies,

I am just wondering if a baby can eat "too much" or they can self-regulate, somehow...

My baby has just turned 12mo (today actually  :) ) and sometimes I feel like he's always hungry!!

At this point, his routine is this:

7am wake up and 200ml formula

8:15am breakfast - oats, almond meal and milk (about 5 tablespopons I'd say)

10am morning tea (1/2 banana and a kiwi)

11am-12 NAP

12:30 Lunch (half a bowl of pasta + some meat + piece of cheese + piece of bread...)

3pm afternoon tea (3 teaspoons yogurt + mashed fruit + 2 teaspoon rice cereal.. sometimes he cries for more though!)

4-5pm NAP

5:40 dinner - he cries till I feed him!! (80-100g meat or fish with side of veggies)

6:45pm formula 150-200ml

7:20pm bedtime

How do I know if I'm feeding my DS enough but not too much?!

I just want to be sure I give him good food habits...

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 12mo baby eating too much?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:25:10 am »
Generally speaking you can let him guide the portion sizes and how much he eats. So long as everything is healthy and he's not holding out or "demanding" a ton of junk (which he is not) then I'd let him have what as much as he wants of the balanced healthy meals you are providing.
It looks like you already are setting up good food habits, set snack and meal times and not picking or snacking throughout the day which would be bad for teeth.

If he's crying for more at 3pm how about offering something higher in calories/fat/protein like maybe some meat/fish/beans/cheese?
Same with dinner time, if he's crying I'd offer it earlier if you can, if not I'd give him something to keep him occupied while you get it served. I can remember using the nap time to get my DS's dinner ready as he needed his main evening meal almost as soon as he woke up, around 4pm it was.  Early for dinner but maybe toddlers like dinner early.