Author Topic: few questions  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 27, 2017, 14:21:59 pm »
Hi,

Can someone please explain why my baby would happily fall asleep on his own in his crib within 3-5 mins for the first 2 naps in the day but then won't settle on his own for the next 1 or 2 naps? He is 4 months old and I aim for 1h45 mins awake time. Is it bc he has built up some tiredness during the day? He will fall asleep again within 2 mins or so if held but if I put him down well awake in his cot he screams the placre down.
Also may I ask once baby is 4.5 months old shall I stick to 1h45 min awake time or should I increase?
And finally what should be the awake time at 5 months. The info I find online is contradictory and some charts are a bit too vague or general (i.e. 3-6 months - 2hs awake time)
Thank you!

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:24:19 am »
Your A time prob needs to be more. At 4 months old it's 2 hours :)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: few questions
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 06:53:45 am »
It could be lots of factors, it could be the A time, it could also be that your baby needs a bit more cuddle time, babies really do change through the day & as they get older the time may vary a bit throughout the day, some babies do better with a shorter first A time & some get more tired in the day & more stimulation means they need shorter A times later in the day.

The reason that A times are 2hours for 3-6months is that it's an average, babies and their environments are all different and so will their ability to cope... my first needed a lot more sleep in 24hours than my second, as my second is a Low sleep needs child. So it really is about working out a little bit of tweakage that suits your child.

The fact that you get the first 2 naps working well is really great, in all honesty it's pretty rare for babies to go down perfectly for all naps and bedtime, not because parents don't try, but because different days have different factors influencing them in terms of simple things from daylight, weather, people, noises, feeding etc, which is why looking for the tired signs is probably the most helpful thing, rather than exact times.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 13:48:23 pm »
We have a guidance A time FAQ here:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=84884.0
it is only guidance though and as pps have said some LOs like longer some shorter.  it is also okay for the A time to be a little different through the day if Lo prefers a shorter first A time and longer later on or longer for the first A time and shorter later on.

Many LOs at 6 months are closer to, moving to, or already at 3hrs A time (or even more) so I would personally say that whatever you've seen which says 3-6 months 2hrs is more like the middle of that age rather than the older end of it.

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 14:59:52 pm »
I found at that age it seemed like I was increasing AT every few days.

As the other ladies said not each AT will be the same. My LO always preferred a longer AM AT. It may also depend on their activity level. My LO is pretty sensitive about activity level. She likes to be moving around a lot in order to be tired. So if I take her out in stroller or car I have to take that into consideration.

I had to make note of her sleepy cues as they changed when she got older and were more it less reliable at different times of the day (eeeeek).

I found it was a lot of trial and error as I got to know her better and it is constantly changing.

This may not be helpful, but at least you can rest assured you are not alone or crazy (that is how I felt... And still sometimes feel)

Good luck