Author Topic: 8 mo has enough or too much bootle milk ?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline IsabelaTsuji

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 mo has enough or too much bootle milk ?
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:16:28 am »
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice concerning the amount of milk I've being offering my LO.

(As English is not my first language, there might be some strange things in my text.)

my LO is having solids since 6mo and we are doing pretty good. No resistence. He no longer wants BF (I miss it).

Our general EASY routine:

6:30 am WU / 6 oz
8:00 am solids (fruits)
10:00 am S
11:30 am solids (vegetables, 1 carbohydrate, 1 protein)
01:30 pm bottle mil 5 oz
03:00 pm S
04:30 pm solids (fruit)
05:30 pm solids (vegetables, 1 carbohydrate, 1 protein)
06:30 pm bath
07:30 pm BT (easily, by himself)
10:30 pm DF 6 oz

2-3 am we are facing habitual waking for the last couple of weeks

Could anyone analyze my EASY routine and tell me if my LO is having too much or maybe not enough milk ?
Could this feeding pattern be causing his night waking ?

I'm really glad to be part of this forum. Thanks.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 8 mo has enough or too much bootle milk ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:45:05 am »
From memory ( I did BF, but around that age I gave BM in bottles too) the range for an 8mo would be approx 24- 32oz of milk. By the looks of it he's getting about 17oz, which is a bit low, I think looking at your routine that 4.30pm should probably be a milk one.

The rule of thumb tends to be that Milk is the most important nutrition until 12mo & should be given before solids, which are more a "taste" & it tends to be milk then solids an hour later, so they don't fill up on solids. Milk (BM or Formula) contain the fats & minerals needed for brain development in much higher quantities than solids thus why it's recommended that they are the primary nutrition in the first year.

At 8mo my DS1 struggle with some foods & I found orange foods (carrot, Pumpkin, Kumara/sweet potato)  all upset his stomach & it could be the mix of  protein and carb that could be a factor too... at such a young age it in terms of eating solids it can be better to just do say veg and meat or veg and carb (I'm assuming for the carbohydrate you are meaning say bread or pasta or rice) rather than all 3 parts together.

I definitely think though the milk is low and the solids are probably why.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:22:50 am »
Hi
Your English is great, don't worry!

It's lovely that your LO is enjoying solids - offering solids was one of the most enjoyable parts of the baby stage for me :)

the range for an 8mo would be approx 24- 32oz of milk
The guidance amount of milk varies quite significantly from country to country.
Our guide on the bottle feeding FAQ is for 18-20oz of milk or dairy solids between 6-9 months and this is the guidance for UK.  Health visitors here use a rough guide of 500ml or 1 pint (which is around 16oz).  If LO is not taking this amount in milk they look at how much dairy solids are being taken.

I do think you could switch you day around a little to offer more milk in the day and there could be a chance then that LO is ready to stop waking in the night or drop the DF.

You didn't say if you give a milk feed at BT - I know sometimes people accidentally miss this out of their EASY notes.
Is there also a BT milk?

I would say that whilst your LO is on the lower end of milk intake it is nothing to worry about especially if there are some portions of yoghurt or cheese or milk based sauces in the solids meals too.  I'd be more inclined to look at when the milk is offered, at this age most people would offer 4 milk feeds in the day and possibly one at night but could also be in the process of dropping the DF to leave 4 day time milk feeds (night feeds often continue for BF babies).

You could switch the feeds to something like this:
6.30 WU milk
8.30 solids breakfast
11.30 milk
12.30 solids lunch
4.30 milk
5.30 solids dinner
7/7.30 BT milk
10.30 DF (this could possibly be reduced and dropped over the next month or so)

In another few months the milk feeds at 11.30 and 4.30 would be the ones which normally switch to a solids snack with either a drink of milk in a cup or a drink of water - leaving 2 good milk feeds at WU and BT.

Do you need support with BF?  I see you say you miss BF and your LO is no longer interested.  Is he not nursing at all now?  Is he taking breast milk in a bottle or formula in the bottle?  I do think it would be possible to increase BF again if that's what you wanted?

Offline IsabelaTsuji

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 14:22:27 pm »
I do appreciate your attention and suggestions !

Clarifying some points: Indeed, he doesn't have BT milk ; he refuses BF at all, nowadays there isn't any breast milk supply.

I miss breastfeeding him, but as I work on day or night shifts (12h) I suppose it messed up a little.

For the next days I will follow this EASY suggestion and feedback you ladies.

One last issue.. he seems to be waking up earlier for his DF. (usually 10:30pm). Is this a reflection of missing BT milk ?

Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 17:58:13 pm »
Waking earlier for the DF could be due to there being no BT milk, yes. Or it could just be that he is in the habit of waking rather than staying asleep for that feed.

There is a possibility to bring your breast milk supply back, did you know?
There is a FAQ on relactation here:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=143453.0
and you could post in the BF board for support if you wanted.
It is a personal choice of course.  You might feel that things are best left as they are even though you miss BF or you might feel you'd like to give it a try.
I know when I made the decision to switch to formula (my LO was very young) I found it incredibly hard and emotional even though it was my decision based on my circumstances so I can understand if you feel you miss BF but still feel formula is the best way for you now. Hugs.