Author Topic: Needs excessive loud white noise to fall asleep  (Read 1349 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
Needs excessive loud white noise to fall asleep
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:03:29 am »
My almost 5mo dd will not fall asleep unless the white noise is right next to her ear and turned up loud. I'm concerned what this will do to her hearing. We've had her ears checked and she's fine so I don't think it's that she can't hear it but what is going on? Once she's fully asleep I can turn it down but she will wake at the next sleep cycle if it's not loud then.

I've checked the decibels and it's 90dbl right up next to her ear which is a no no. What else can I do?

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: Needs excessive loud white noise to fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:23:58 am »
  I personally just wouldn't do it.  If she's hooked on white noise, I'd use a machine or better yet a fan in the hallway outside her room, and in time she'll adjust to it not being loud, though it might be rough at first.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:42:16 am »
She just fought me so hard when I turned it down quieter. She busted out of the swaddle she was that mad. As soon as I turned it up she was out like a light! She's a really chilled out baby that doesn't get upset about much st all so this is a very strong reaction! She reacts the same if I'm trying to wean her from the swaddle too so I've given that up now as well

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:09:04 am »
That's way too loud to be safe.  Hearing test test the now hearing but not the long term decline & too much too loud kills of the fine nerves of hearing so it can quite easily have long term impacts.

TBH, babies fight because its what they are used to & they don't like change, the Swaddle can be there until it becomes really unsafe in terms of learning to roll, but the noise is something you probably have to bite the bullet like teaching a baby to fall asleep after all they are used to is falling asleep on the breast - ie it will involve tears and resistance, it will involve effort.

I didn't ever use white noise so I can' comment on weaning from it, but I think with noise that loud I'd be going cold turkey on it & even use APOP to get her out of the habit before working on the next step
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 07:52:55 am »
I guess I'm gonna just have to do it then. As of tomorrow I'll be turning the white noise down. I still want to use it because there are three loud boys in the house and she won't sleep through their noises, I'll just have to turn it down more and perhaps really pat her to sleep for the next few days til she adjusts

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:46:12 am »
My oldest was like that. I don't really have helpful advice. I had a hard time keeping it so loud as I knew it wasn't good for her ears. At 11.5 she has bionic hearing.  ;)