Author Topic: 3 month old and 30/45 min naps..  (Read 7634 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3 month old and 30/45 min naps..
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 10:18:21 am »
You might have more luck with the CN if you leave him a bit longer before trying the wind down.  If he is sleeping those two good naps of 1.5 - 2hrs twice he can probably do a full A time before the CN.  Looking at your times I think 4/4.30pm might be too early for the CN (did he wake from his previous nap at maybe 3pm or later so the A time before he CN is running short).
How about try for a CN at more like 5pm?  30 min nap waking at 5.30 (or 5.40 5.45 if he does a full 40/45 min cycle and wakes more naturally then) followed by a full 2hr A time before BT:
WU 7
A 2hr 15
S 9.15 - 11.15
A 2hr 15
S 1.30 - 3.00
A 2hr
CN 5 - 5.30/45
A 2hr
BT 7.30pm

BT can move a touch later, so 7.30 or even up to 8pm to get a CN in.  When the CN is dropped in a month the A times will be longer between naps and the BT will move earlier again.
Also just watch out for UT naps (under tired).  If it is taking longer to get him to sleep it could be he is not quite ready.  Maybe start WD a little later to reduce how much settling you need to do.

So I finally got him done at 6 and he would only sleep for 30mins as he was ot.
Often 30 min naps are OT but just so you know, sometimes they can be UT.  Fighting the CN can be UT and then it's short, although 30 min for a CN is fine really.  It's not always easy to judge if OT or UT but if there were two good naps and then a shortish A time I'd guess UT rather than OT.

Hope this helps

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 11:42:06 am »
Perfect! That works great! I will try for a later cat nap.. basically if I'm getting 1:30 to 2 hr naps then do a full activity time. What happens on the days where his nap around 2pm is only 30mins. I would typically try to put him down at around 4/4:15 for a cn and then slee at 7/7:30 depending on how he is doing.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 18:12:15 pm »
What happens on the days where his nap around 2pm is only 30mins. I would typically try to put him down at around 4/4:15 for a cn and then slee at 7/7:30 depending on how he is doing.
I would do close to a full A time (so perhaps 2hrs instead of 2hr 15) and then the nap, but you can probably let him nap a bit longer if he will/wants, especially if that second nap starts at more like 1.30pm rather than 2pm. EG:
S 1.30 - 2.00 (CN)
A 2hr
S 4 - 5.30 (full long nap)
A 2hr
BT 7.30

or with 2pm nap eg:
S 2.00 - 2.30 (CN)
A 2hr
S 4.30 - 5.30 (cap)
A 2 hr
BT 7.30

if of course that third nap is also short, well he might be grouchy and you might have to wing it but maybe:
S 1.30 - 2.00
A 2
S 4 - 4.30
A 2hr
BT 6.30
I would cut out or cut down most of the evening activity and just focus feeding and aiming for that BT because for me if somethign like this happened I'd be trying to resettle that third nap for some time and when you finally give up an hour could have passed which means that although the A time is officially 2hrs you are left with just 1 hr to get everything done such as feed, bath/wash, pjs and nappy, teeth, feed again and wind down for bed. it's a lot to fit into a short time so I'd have my fully focused head on to avoid a late BT and OT.

I hope that helps, it doesn't cover all the possibilities of course. Sometimes you just have to do what you can do.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 22:03:37 pm »
Great! He had a cap nap at 9:30 and then again at 12:30... so I manage to get him nap from 3-4:30pm. So I focused on feeding, and bed time and got him into bed  for 6:30pm here's hoping if for the night!! Thanks for the advice!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:40 am »
If you keep getting short naps it could be time fir a little A increase. I'm sure you are on the guidance time now, maybe just try another 5 or 10 mins and see if it helps with the transition otherwise there could be an OT build up if these CNs continue.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 19:05:00 pm »
First of all, thank you so much for helping me through this tough transition!! I really appreciate all the advice you have given me! Yesterday he had a good morning nap and then CN all day and then when we got home as we were traveling. ( we got him down for 7:30) he was up what seemed every 30 mins poor babes. He was whimpering and I finally had to hold him on my chest and finally got him to settle at 11pm. I suspect that may be from the teething, as I can see his two bottom teeth coming up but they have not cut yet. I will be giving him Advil before he goes to bed tonight. Very rarely is he cranky during the day, it usually rears it head at night.
Easy for today as follows:
Wake 8am
A-8-10:25
S-10:25-12:30
E-12:30
A-12:30-2:50pm
S-2:50-4:30pm

I going to aim to have him in bed by 6:30/6:45 in hopes that is itnformtoday as I think I can get away without a cn given his naps. Will let you know!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 14:12:38 pm »
Teething is the pits!  Don't forget teeth can move and cause pain for a long time before they cut too. In my experience the cutting was the absolute worst.  It is common not to have too much fussing in the day when they have lots of things to distract them from the pain.

Looks like a good day though! Well done :)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 14:45:46 pm »
Well I am happy ally to report that I got him down at 7pm, I think he was a bit ot at that point as it took a little snuggle and back rug to get him to settle. He woke at the 30 min mark and I resettled him and that was it for the night, he didn't make a peep until 7:30am this morning! Looks like I was just needing to extend the activity time to get the longer naps!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 15:10:57 pm »
Great news :)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 13:23:06 pm »
Hey there! So I've managed to get some structure to his naps. He is just about 6 months now and he usually goes down for his first nap at 9-10am and then again 3 hrs later so about 2 ish. If he naps only 30 mins it might be a bit earlier then 2. He will usually wake around 3:30 ish. The problem is on the days he has shorter naps and he wakes around 2:30 if we get his sister it's like he gets a second wind because he is so excited and as much as I try to get him down at 6 it is not always the case. I also noticed the last few days he has been waking around 5:30am for the day as much as I try to resettle him it does not always work and then his naps are wonky for day. Do you think it's because he's. It getting enough daytime sleep or too much?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 09:07:55 am »
He's a bit older now.  He might need a longer A time but I'm not sure what you're on at the moment.
Waking earlier can mean needing the nap to come later (ie a longer A time), and the shorter naps can mean the same (of course it can also mean lots of other things including teething, it depends on the bigger picture and not just A times).
If WU used to be 7/7.30/8am then the first nap probably needs to be at 10.00/10.30/11.00.  9-10 might just be too early.

If you'd like to post your EASY here I can have a look or alternatively, as it is a different age/issue now, you could start a new thread if you'd like fresh eyes on it.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 11:11:36 am »
Typical easy
Wu-6: is 6:30
Eat 7:30
Activity 6:30-9:30
Nap 9:30-11
Eat 12:30
Activity 11-2
Nap 2-3:30
Eat 4:30
Activity 3:30-6:30
Bed 6:40/7pm.
That is usually how it works but sometimes he cat naps so then I have to sneak in another nap before bedtime if he doesn't sleep at least 1:20 for each of the naps.  If his last nap ends at 2:30 ish with the way school works etc. Then I will just try for early bedtime at 6. And of course dream feed at 10.
I do try for an early bed time but as soon as he sees his sister he comes to life and has a second wind around 5 and takes some work to get him to go to bed because he is nosy and wants to see what his sister is up to lol. Hopefully that helps. Not sure what to say about the early waking it started a few days ago maybe a week. Waking at 5/5:30 ugh.... makes for long days.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 19:02:35 pm »
Typical easy
Wu-6: is 6:30
Eat 7:30
Activity 6:30-9:30
Nap 9:30-11
Although the A time in the morning is a bit above the average for age, if he was doing well on 3hrs A time and then the EW started it could be you ned to move that first nap a little later.  Initially this will mean a long A time because he's waking extra early but it will hopefully discourage the EW.
Maybe move it 15 mins and see if it helps over a few days?
I think he did well on a longer than average A time before didn't he?  So it would make sense that it would continue to be longer than average.  Remember not all A times need to be equal across the day, if the first is over 3hrs the second might stay at 3hrs if you care getting a good nap there.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 23:44:35 pm »
Thanks, I think he tends to do a bit better on the longer then average activity times. I have been paying particular attention and when he is tired he tends to rub his hands on his face or tug on his ears. This morning he was up at 6am... I resettled him and he slept til 7am. I put him down for his first nap at 10:05am and he slept til 12:15pm!!! And fornhis next nap he went down at 4:30... and I had to try hard to get him to take a nap. I only needed t to be 30 mins and he woke at 5 and went to bed around 7:15pm. I think the longer activity time is better suited for him so I should try and stick to a 3 hr min.. of course if he is really fussy and tired I will put him down. Thanks for the input

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 09:32:24 am »
This morning he was up at 6am... I resettled him and he slept til 7am
Brilliant!

first nap at 10:05am and he slept til 12:15pm!!!
Fabulous!

And fornhis next nap he went down at 4:30... and I had to try hard to get him to take a nap.
Were you trying hard because he was OT or UT? That's a very long A time of over 4hrs, do you think you missed the window and he became a struggle due to OT?  Or were you trying from a 3hr A time to get him down?

Ideally at 6 months there would be two long naps but you've done really well with that day!