Author Topic: 6mo just started on bottle  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
6mo just started on bottle
« on: July 30, 2017, 18:13:46 pm »
I just started my six month old on formula. For the past week, he's been taking a bottle at 10am instead of breastmilk.
Today, I introduced a second bottle at 2pm.
For both feedings, he never drinks more than 3 or 4 ounces at one time. He'll drink it, burp, and then need at least 15-20min before being willing to drink more.
I assume this is because he's been EBF until now and is getting use to large amounts of milk coming his way with little effort. Right?
My gut says this is normal but I just wanted to check in.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6mo just started on bottle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 19:17:18 pm »
What size teat are you using? It could be that the teat is too slow rather than too much coming out at this age. He's had to work harder at the breast, but if the teat is too slow he's sucking hard and not getting the result he is used to - if you think about it there isn't just one hole on your nipples :).

Breathed babies do seem to need a smaller volume of milk than formula fed babies, but a bottle feed is generally done with in 20 mins if the teat size is right. I would expect a 6 month old to be taking more than 4oz at a feed, but my experience is with formula from the start. Are you switching totally or more or less totally to formula? Going to a faster tat could lead to bottle preference if you only want to swap a couple of feeds so it's up to you what you try really. Is he satisfied on the feeds?

Laura