Author Topic: 7mo - not enough milk before bed  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Hoofbeat

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:25 am »
My 7month old DS is not taking enough of his bottle before bed (7pm) and it's leading to him waking an hour early in the mornings for a feed, after which he's happy to go back to sleep til his fixed WU time of 7am. He doesn't have a DF (never found it worked for him) and he used to take more milk in the evening and then sleep through happily til 7am. I don't believe the issue is that he's waking as he's had enough sleep (given he'll happily go back to sleep) but is because he just won't finish his bedtime bottle.

Could someone offer me some advice on how to tweak our routine to get him to take more milk in the evenings (or just generally during the day) as I suspect the introduction of more solids is what's thrown us off!

6am - Waking for feed. Takes anywhere between 4-6oz. He is put back down in cot after this and falls asleep independently.
7am - Fixed WU. Offered more milk feed but won't take much if he's had 6oz an hour ago!
8am - Solids
10am - Nap (1.5-2hours usually)
11:30/12 - 7oz bottle followed by Solids 30mins later
2:30pm/3pm - Nap. Exact time down depends on how long he slept in the morning. (1hour usually)
3:30/4pm - 7oz Bottle when he wakes from nap
5:30pm - Solids
6:45pm - bedtime bottle, but rarely takes the full 7oz, usually having about 5oz.
7pm - Bedtime

I don't feel he's taking enough milk in the day for his age, but if I offer bottles more frequently he either isn't interested or tends to snack. Perhaps I should be offering him smaller bottles more frequently? Whenever he has solids he is also offered water in a cup, but he generally only has a small amount. He isn't a big eater yet either - we do a mixture of finger foods and purees but he only takes small amounts (I'm hoping this might improve once he stops teething as his front teeth are close to coming through and clearly bothering him).

Any suggestions welcome!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 7mo - not enough milk before bed
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 22:02:36 pm »
Could you move the 5.30pm solids earlier perhaps?  More like 4.30pm?  Then he might have less in his tummy by the time it's BT milk and take his full BT feed.
How long has he been able to go 12 hrs over night without a feed? it's a long stretch!

Offline Hoofbeat

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 18:05:56 pm »
Thanks creations, I had thought about moving the dinner earlier, but firstly we are often out at that time of day and he just doesn't eat as well if we're out somewhere compared to home and also we're doing a mix of BLW and purées and at weekends my husband and I are joining him for his dinner at 5:30pm, but we really don't want to have to eat any earlier than this as a family (and we don't want an extra meal as I'm still trying to shift the pregnancy weight).

The last couple of nights he's been taking closer to 7oz at bedtime and sleeping through - perhaps because I've been sneaking things like yoghurt into his dinner which is helping fill him up!

He had been STTN for several weeks - he loves his sleep at night and he's gaining weight so we aren't too worried that he's going a long stretch without food.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 7mo - not enough milk before bed
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 18:56:00 pm »
Yes yoghurt and other dairy solids could help if he doesn't take the full BT bottle, maybe a drink of milk with dinner?  Although sounds like he's back on track now :)