EAT > Feeding Solid Food

Not sure where to post... Headbanging in high chair

(1/1)

LaraAndrea:
My LO has taken well to solid foods. She eats mostly finger foods.

She has entered a headbanging phase. Although she does sometimes bang head against walls and crib, it is most prominent when sitting in high chair for meals. Sometimes I cannot get her to sit still enough to eat and definitely not eat safely.

I have read up a bit about this headbanging phase (soothing, pain, dancing etc.) I was just wondering if it may mean something else that she does it most vigorously during meals.

creations:
Sorry I don't really know much or anything about headbanging. I'd assume either teething pain when eating or she's not interested in the food.  If it isn't safe to eat I can only suggest what I would have done with mine - tell him to stop because it's dangerous and warn him I'll have to lift him down if he continues. And then if it continued I'd say "looks like you're finished" and get him down.  Mine didn't headbang but that was my approach to that sort of unwanted behaviour.  I would (depending on the circumstances) let him come back to the table/high chair at least once if he showed he wanted to but with a warning that if he did anything dangerous I'd remove him again and meal time would be over.

If she really can't stop the behaviour and she is struggling because she's hungry but just can't help herself, you could try a picnic lunch on the floor perhaps?

LaraAndrea:
I am suspecting teething. It looks like her upper right canine area is white and swollen, but she doesn't exactly let me look hahaha

She tends to eat... Headbang for a bit... Then eat...

We may try the floor if the behaviour continues.

creations:
Or pain meds 20 mins before a meal if you're able to? Depends how much you need to save those meds for sleep time or if you are able to use them for meals.
Could maybe be an ear infection too perhaps - ears and teeth can look similar sometimes.

LaraAndrea:
I did notice some ear pulling too. But she has done that as a sleep cue as well.

Between acetaminophen and ibprofen we could do lunch and sleep. Her nights have not been affected yet... We will have to observe a bit closer today and tomorrow :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version