Author Topic: PU/PD with back problems  (Read 1090 times)

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:51:43 am »
Hi,

My sister has a 7 month old boy who is on a good routine and usually went to sleep well.
last month they were out of the house for 2 weeks (at grandparents) and he started sitting up and eating lots of solids.

It became very hard to put him to sleep (realizing that the changes from last month must have an impact). He screams and settles only after a while either in the arms or if held down in bed etc.

My sister would like to start PU/PD but she has a back problem and it is very difficult for her to PU and PD so much or at all. Even sitting is very painfull.
The pain got worse this past week and it comes and goes so I wanted to know if anyone has any idea how to get beby back on track to fall asleep on his own if PU/PD is not really an option because of back aches. He constantly sits up in bed, so even laying him back dow (as PD) is problematic and painful.

Thanks!!
Tammy

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: PU/PD with back problems
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:18:28 am »
Hi Tammy

I also have a bad back and although my DS was an independent sleeper from a young age there are always hiccups in the routine when it goes off track due to developmental leaps, sleep need changes etc so there is often a need to support LO through these tricky times and having a bad back makes it even harder.

If your DN was previously sleeping independently then I would think PUPD is not necessary - often LOs can return to independent sleep when the developmental leap has passed and if/when the routine is suitable (it may need a change) by using a firm hand (the equivalent to shush/pat but it can be adapted to just patting or rubbing or whatever your sister used/uses to usually settle him).  It sounds like he is somewhat comforted with a firm hand or being held down so this may be the way forward.  Can you get the current EASY times and post them?  Exactly what happens, WU, A times, S times.

If it is a very difficult phase and he doesn't respond easily and if she cannot bring someone in to to PDs for her, and if she really cannot find any position by the cot then my advice would be to start with where exactly she *can* get comfortable for a period.  It might be more appropriate to set up a mattress on the floor for the pair of them to lie together for DNs nap time, or to use an open sided travel cot to put him in so she can lay on the floor next to it and once he is asleep she can close the side and leave him to sleep safely.  Whilst these things might not sound 100% BW the reality of life and bad backs is very very real and part of BW is to consider the needs of the entire family, including Mummies who can't do a full on PUPD!  it may take some out of the box thinking :)

hope this helps - I can look at the EASY times if you post them - he might be ready for a longer A time and it could help reduce the resistance to naps.