Author Topic: Thick poop  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Pearla

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 10, 2018, 21:22:48 pm »
My lo had his two month injections on Monday.   He had a very runny poop the following morning,  I assume a result of vaccine.

Roll on 4 days.....no poop.  He had gotten progressively uncomfortable, squirming non stop on each feed, fussing, and constant very noxious farts.  last night he spat up x3 times after feeding and a reasonably large amount.  This is very unlike him.  He has silent reflux but never spits up.  It was as if he simply didn't have the room to feed.

Today after another uncomfortable breast feed, I used a suppository.  In fact didn't have to wait, it was barely inserted and the flood gates opened.  a large volume of poop came out.  Instead of it being the normal breast fed poop. Loose with mustard seed it was as thick as a cooking sauce!!!!

Is this constipation??  O know bf babies can go multiple days between feeds but I assume they would not be uncomfortable inbetween and the poop would be of regular consistency.   I have not altered my diet.

Is this a concern?  Prior to his vaccine he pooped X2 at least a day with classic bf poop consistency.   Of course I did a Mr Google search and got loads of horror stories re the retrovirus vaccine and long term chronic constipation after.  This of course has me alarmed.

What do you ladies think?  It's the consistency and the obvious discomfort between motions that makes me feel something is up.

Anyone have a similar experience with vaccines or is it just coincidental?   What does that consistency mean???

Any advice welcomed.
Thanks again. X

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Thick poop
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 23:35:29 pm »
It could well be that its been in his gut longer and more fluid has been absorbed from it. Was it still yellow and sweet-smelling?

Offline Pearla

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 07:54:04 am »
It was orangery yellow.  Unfortunately no not particularly sweet smelling. 

I can't quite get how it could change so suddenly, but also the fact that he definitely seemed uncomfortable.   If I hadn't given the suppository then he might still not have pooped.

I have started him on probiotics not sure if that will help.  I wonder could the vaccination have any effect it just seems so random a change.   He is on losec. But noone seems to think that would effect bowel motility. 

I really feel for him.  I'm anxious now re when he will poop again.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Thick poop
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 23:42:30 pm »
I think Bec is right.  If my 15wo doesn't poo for a while (a day or two as opposed to 2-4x a day) the poo is thicker. The longer it is in the bowel the more water is reabsorbed into the body.

Are you giving the suppository under medical supervision? I wouldn't do that for just a few days unless instructed by a dr. As you say bf babies can go a while between poops sometimes if all the goodness is absorbed and there is minimum waste. And yes they will get uncomfortable near the end as the bowel is stimulated to go. Maybe try a massage or sitting him on a little potty to help with position mext time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011