Author Topic: 4 month old increased night feedings  (Read 1383 times)

Offline ZanesOTmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
4 month old increased night feedings
« on: August 09, 2017, 14:32:42 pm »
DS is almost 19 weeks and we have started on EASY over a week ago when I transferred him to crib. He is now on 4-hr intervals. Over 2 weeks ago, his daily intake dropped from 30-32oz to 24-26oz a day. Pedia wasn't concerned as he's more than doubled his birth weight (small for gestational age - 5lbs 6oz at 38weeks) at 3 months, currently weighing 14.5lbs. Now that I'm bottle feeding every 4hours and his intake varies every day, 3-6oz every feed, I'm feeding him when he wakes at night. So doing DF at 10:30 then 1:30am and 4:30am. When he slept beside me, I only fed him once overnight and now we're up to 3, since his intake dropped. I'm afraid he'll get used to DF plus 2 NF... should I drop a feed or continue until his intake goes up? It's such a battle with him every feed :(

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 4 month old increased night feedings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:54 am »
Hi there
Honestly I am not great with bottle feeding advice but I saw you didn't have a reply yet so thought I'd stop by.

Do you feel your LO is fully ready for the 4hr E routine?  There are some babies who need to eat more frequently in the day than this, mine was one of them, he couldn't go longer than 3hrs between milk feeds until he was 6 months old when it naturally extended due to naps and solids times.
I just wonder if your Lo might do better on 3hr or 3hr 30 feeds in the day to get his calories in and not need the 3 feeds over night.  Tummies are very small and for a small baby the tummy is even smaller. Mine was a petite boy and also reflux meant he preferred smaller meals more frequently.
Intake can dramatically increase during growth spurts and us parents can get used to that amount being taken so we can be shocked and worried when the amount drops back to normal - could this be the case? I do remember being astounded how much my DS took during a GS but then did worry a bit when it dropped again.