Author Topic: Crying at night with his eyes closed  (Read 2932 times)

Offline MagdaM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 05, 2017, 07:01:46 am »
Hello there, first of all I'd like to say I love you all and this forum, your answers helped me some time ago, even if I was just a quite reader. Now, just because I haven't found answers in the topics here, I'm forced to beg you for advice.
My son is 5mo, born in 24.03. Since that day his life has been a horror, honestly. When we came back home he kept crying,I couldn't calm him- or dr said he had tummy problems and so it was. We started giving him Nutramigen (mm without lactoze) and he turned from little devil to nearly an angel (I mean with the crying). He also had problems with naps from the beggining,now he sleeps only on his tummy. Car trip is terrible while he hates being on his back. I bm fed him only for 2 months, then we turned to mm.
When he was 3mo we turned to normal mm, with lactose but comfort. And (I think so, because I'm not 100% sure) it was the day he started having terrible nights. Before that he used to sleep from 7pm to nearly 6am without any noise, crying and so on. Now, when he gets to bed at 7:30pm he starts crying every 1h, 30 mins, or like today 10-15 mins! And he wakes up only for the mm at 4:30am-5am, just to go to sleep after eating and then he starts his day at 7 or nearly 8am. Its more often 7am.
Our daily routine has been like this for 3 or 4 months:
7am getting up, playing in bed, having some exercises.
8:30am we go to the kitchen, he gets some water or apple drink
9am he eats
10am he has a nap. And now is the problem,ha may sleep 2 hours,45 mins (with watch. We have a Sleep Sheep and it sings him a song for 45mins, after that he sometimes wakes up)
I sometimes try to extend his nap when he wakes up too early (before 11).
Then at 11 we usually play,sing or exercise nearly up to 1pm, then he gets mm and after that he's tired so here's his 2nd nap. Usually up to 3pm or near.
At 4pm he gets mm
After 5pm we're trying to put him to sleep. We tried without this nap but he's ot then, we can't have a bath because he is crying so much. He usually falls asleep with a great cry at 5:50pm and sleeps uo to 6:30-6:50pm. Then he wakes up and we can do the bath for about 10-15 mins with changing his clothes, he eats after his this and falls asleep.
He falls asleep by himself, in his crib, no sleep sheep activated (so he knows it's a night time sleep, or so I hope), i kiss him goodnight and leave our bedroom. After 15mins of talking to the sheep (or sometimes less, but no crying) he falls asleep, with his pacifier.
Then at night he starts crying or screaming with his eyes closed. When he gets the pacifier he calms downcfor a bit, after some time he start over. And up to 4/5am he seems to be asleep. I have no idea what to do. He gets some meds for his tummy and for reflux. The one for reflux doesn't seem to work at all, although our dr said it could be because reflux,this night crying. Doesn't have to be.
I haven't tried the "pick up/down" method because I'm afraid I'd wake him up every 15mins when he starts crying. I tried changing his diaper-it's not the problem. He has his pijamas without buttoms, he's not cold or too hot, I always check this first. No idea what else, I think it's not the tummy problem again because he's really cheerful boy when he's awake. And he seems to get enough sleep after night.
I'm really sorry if I make mistakes, I'm seriously ot, haven't slept for some time, today I slept only 1hour.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Crying at night with his eyes closed
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:46:44 am »
Hi there and huge massive hugs it's so tough being a mum and being sleep deprived is so tough.

What reflux meds is he on? It sounds very much like discomfort waking him, do u elevate his bed?
Zoe

Offline MagdaM

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:35:06 am »
I do elevate his bed, a bit, maybe it's not high enough?
He's on gastrotuss baby, it's a polish syrup I can buy in every pharmacy without prescription. Our dr said it could be ok.
I also have to say we're right after teething - I noticed first tooth when he was 4m and 1 day. But it started long before.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 18:30:00 pm »
Nutramigen is actually a hydrolysed formula (rather than just being a lactose-free formula) which is usually used to treat babies with cows milk protein allergy.  If he has become symptomatic again since restarting normal milk then it sounds like that could be a possibility....has your doctor discussed that with you?  Often babies with CMPA can have reflux symptoms too - if he is on a milk which he can't properly digest then no amount of reflux meds will make the difference sadly :'( I'd get back to your doctor and chat things through x

Offline MagdaM

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 22:07:34 pm »
Yes,our doc disscussed that with us, but also she insisted on changing mm. We did it 2 months ago but also that day as I remeber we stopped giving him Debridat(he couldn't poo) so we didn't know what were these symptoms connected with.
He has no other symptoms, although right after changing mm he had a running nose(I went to our doc the same day,she said it was cold, not allergy symptoms).
Yesterday we gave him viburcol. He slept well to 3am, then cried twice and woke up at 5am to eat. That was great. But today we didn't give him viburcol and he started crying at 10pm - 6 times now. I'm going crazy.
Thank you for your answers, I know it's not a medical forum. I'm going to our doc tomorrow,hope she'll do more tests. Cross fingers!

Offline MagdaM

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 22:15:16 pm »
I also have to say he had some good nights through those 2 months. It's not like he stopped sleeping well at all. But those are really rare nights, no more than ten...

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 14:07:11 pm »
Yes,our doc disscussed that with us, but also she insisted on changing mm.
I would question this when you see your doctor - if milk allergy is possibly an issue then it kind of doesn't make sense!!  Hope you get somewhere x