Author Topic: PUPD 8 month old  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Ally1983

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 20, 2017, 19:37:53 pm »
Hi,

I was just looking for general advise regarding PUPD when LO stands up in cot. If not crying should just leave LO till starts to cry to put down?

Also if LO is down and not crying at all but still awake and you have your hand on their chest or back is best approach to stay with hand on their chest till they fall asleep?

Appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: PUPD 8 month old
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 18:29:33 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the boards :)  There is a FAQ section with a lot of info about PUPD which you may find helpful - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=275699.0

In response to your first question - yes I would leave LO standing until they cry, if happy or just messing about then let them get on with it, only really intervening when necessary.

The second is a little trickier for me to answer without a bit more information - I hope that's ok to ask a few questions?  What was the reason for you starting PUPD to begin with?  How was your LO previously falling asleep?  Usually with PUPD at this age you would tend to put LO down and be 'hands off' - certainly if you are trying to get rid of a prop you don't want to create a new one of LO expecting your hand on them to go to sleep.  But if you were (for example) previously holding to sleep then you could possibly have a hand on as part of a process of gradual withdrawal, with the aim of eventually not needing that either.  In general though the idea is that LO does the falling asleep on their own so I would aim to be doing the minimum needed and probably try to keep hands off as much as possible. 

Does that help?

Offline Ally1983

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:09:14 am »
Thanks for your reply. Came across that FAQ section after I had logged my post :)

I suppose our aim of starting PUPD was to try get LO to learn how to soothe themself to sleep. Previously we would of either breastfed LO to sleep or cradled/walked to sleep but LO would sometimes wake every 2 hours so we knew LO was just waking for our comfort and wanted to get away from this habit. We do have have a good routine in place and naps going good. It was just the bedtime sleeping mainly.

You have answered my question in terms of the hand on as you say my worry was are we potentially creating another bad habit that LO would be expecting the hand on for comfort to sleep. So your answers definitely help.

Thanks